• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel rivers , Cornwall

Richard Brown

Hi folks.
Any information on rivers in Cornwall for barbel please.
Staying in Looe near Polpero for two weeks in August.
Thanks.

Might be better off with a lure rod for the bass. As I recall from the question being asked a year or two back Cornwall is devoid of river barbel.

Being in north Devon I have the same dilemma. As Paul stated the exe and culm are the only rivers rumoured to hold a couple (literally). Also there a long way off from Cornwall. I can thoroughly recommended the culm as a stunning river to fish. A mini version of the teme with an amazing head and different type of fish. chub are the main quarry I targeted there. Take a pin and trot the various spots. Alternately spin/ fly for the bass in Cornwall and enjoy the beauty down there cheers Jon

Being in north Devon I have the same dilemma. As Paul stated the exe and culm are the only rivers rumoured to hold a couple (literally). Also there a long way off from Cornwall. I can thoroughly recommended the culm as a stunning river to fish. A mini version of the teme with an amazing head and different type of fish. chub are the main quarry I targeted there. Take a pin and trot the various spots. Alternately spin/ fly for the bass in Cornwall and enjoy the beauty down there cheers Jon
Thanks for the reply , yes looking at the map the Culm is about 1.5 hours from where we will be staying.

Back