• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on River Wear at Chester le Street

Hi Graham,

I used to live in Newton Hall a few years back.
Between Chester le Street and Newton Hall there was a Tyre and MOT garage and behind that is some allotments. Park by the allotments and walk down to the river, about 200yrds down stream used to be a tree stump in the water;)

Have a look, its very nice round that area!!

Regards

Jason

I'm no expert Graham but have heard of barbel coming out off the park stretch near the cricket ground but it is best not to go on your own on an evening.

Thanks for the advice. There seems to be so few barbel anglers in the club, it's all salmon and sea trout. Therefore there's no one to get advice from or share knowledge with. I think the river has loads of potential but it's a hard river to find the fish and work out if there's a decent head or your just fishing for a hand full of fish. The ones I have had are nice fish, up to 9lb. Not having the knowledge I'm sticking to the same spot but I'd like to find them elsewhere on the river, it's just a matter of finding them. Cheers:)

Hi Graham,
I see you are new to this site.
Welcome aboard.

Just one point to note please. Whilst advice is generally freely given on here, naming individual streches or swims is not a great idea. You will possibly find that you can't get in peg two for a while until it's been hammered and the fish move off the pressure.

Best regards and good luck,

Jeff

Back