• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on centrepin what LB line

Peter Brownbill

Wanted to target barbel and possibly carp on the pin, any ideas of what’s best breaking strain etc , cheers

Love using braid on the pin (ledgering) - personally Powerpro Super 8 slick (v2 if you can get it), 10 - 15kg.
Some braids are not advised fishing on rocky bottoms but I've found abrasion resistance good on this.
Doesn't get any better than playing a barbel on pin n braid 👌

Love using braid on the pin (ledgering) - personally Powerpro Super 8 slick (v2 if you can get it), 10 - 15kg.
Some braids are not advised fishing on rocky bottoms but I've found abrasion resistance good on this.
Doesn't get any better than playing a barbel on pin n braid 👌

What diameter is that Mark?

I'm giving serious thought to switching over to braid on my barbel reels this season. The more I use braid for other applications the more keep asking myself why it isn't on my barbel set up. Is the super-slick a marked improvement on the basic moss green power pro?

Cheers,

Joe

I've used Moss Green Power Pro, 20lb, on my pins for over 15 years now, for all of my barbel fishing. Best move I ever made.

I'm giving serious thought to switching over to braid on my barbel reels this season. The more I use braid for other applications the more keep asking myself why it isn't on my barbel set up. Is the super-slick a marked improvement on the basic moss green power pro?

Cheers,

Joe
I used to use PowerPro, then moved to Super 8 Slick, which is much smoother. Since then I've moved onto the much less expensive 'Spectra' braid. Unfortunately the name 'Spectra' appears to be a generic, so Spectras can/could/do vary. The one I settled on (500m spools) was called Spectra extreme Braid, which is said to be 30lb bs and 0.26mm. I checked and triple checked it and would say 24lb bs is nearer to the mark.

I've used Moss Green Power Pro, 20lb, on my pins for over 15 years now, for all of my barbel fishing. Best move I ever made.

Is the UK 20lb which is 0.15 diameter or the US 20lb which is 0.23 ?

I find Powerpro strength ratings bit confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers,

Joe

The 10kg is quoted as 0.15, the 15kg 0.19 although I couldn't verify that Joe.
Very different to the basic Powerpro (which I used for years) - much smoother, almost feels coated, which I think is down to the 8 weave material.
I really like it - only slight criticism being that I have had the colour washing out a little over time.

I've had some super 8 slick on one of my pins for five seasons, and it's still going strong. The colour has lightened slightly (I use timber brown), but it's not a problem. I use 30lb bs, which has the same diameter as 8lb mono. It's also very robust. You need a soft-actioned rod or strong hooks (preferably both) tp prevent hook pulls.

I usually source from here but they're currently out of stock of the 30lb.

Has anyone used sufix 832 braid, I brought a spool a couple of season's ago but never got round to using it

I found this useful table on Dave Lumb’s website regarding standard Moss Green PowerPro. It seems the US lbs’ reflects knotted strength.

I’ve got a spool of 0.28mm in Moss Green so I think i’ll try that on my heavier (Trent) set-up, and the maybe the 0.23 on my small river set-up or the super slick 8 equivalent.

Diam. (mm)
US
UK/EU
10lb/9kg​
9kg/20lb​
20lb/15kg​
15kg/33lb​
30lb/20kg​
20kg/44lb​
50lb/30kg​
30kg/66lb​
65lb/40kg​
40kg/88lb​
80lb/48kg​
48kg/106lb​
100lb/55kg​
55kg/121lb​

Has anyone used sufix 832 braid, I brought a spool a couple of season's ago but never got round to using it
Used both 832 and Pro 8 for barbel fishing - no real problems but tend to use the Green Pro 8.
Used Power Pro for many years and no complaints - just fancied a change.
Cheers
Bob

I found this useful table on Dave Lumb’s website regarding standard Moss Green PowerPro. It seems the US lbs’ reflects knotted strength.

I’ve got a spool of 0.28mm in Moss Green so I think i’ll try that on my heavier (Trent) set-up, and the maybe the 0.23 on my small river set-up or the super slick 8 equivalent.

Diam. (mm)
US
UK/EU
10lb/9kg​
9kg/20lb​
20lb/15kg​
15kg/33lb​
30lb/20kg​
20kg/44lb​
50lb/30kg​
30kg/66lb​
65lb/40kg​
40kg/88lb​
80lb/48kg​
48kg/106lb​
100lb/55kg​
55kg/121lb​
Joe

My box says 0.23 dia, 9kg, 20lb test - there's always been confusion :(

Not the easiest thing to measure, but with my digital verniers slowly closing the jaws so as not to compress the braid the readings were in the range 0.25 to 0.29

BUT closing the jaws more vigourously the reading was indeed 0.23

Re. knot strength vs. 'breaking strain' (straight pull)... I wouldn't expect much difference between the two when it comes to braid, which doesn't 'crimp'. I always test the braid I use, and I find the break doesn't often occur at a knot. The most accurately quoted B/S I've found is for Slick 8 (>95%), whilst some of the Chinese stuff can be <60%.

Joe

My box says 0.23 dia, 9kg, 20lb test - there's always been confusion :(

Not the easiest thing to measure, but with my digital verniers slowly closing the jaws so as not to compress the braid the readings were in the range 0.25 to 0.29

BUT closing the jaws more vigourously the reading was indeed 0.23

So it's best to ignore the stated breaking strains and just go with the stated diameter then.

I've been using the 0.36 and 0.41 for pike, not changed the line for a good few seasons, but I does seem like it can develop a slight oval shape with use - so that might explain the readings on your verniers?

Back