• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in the Trent/Derwent

Davio Holloway

Hi, Ive just relocated with a new job in Derby. Has anyone got any tips/pointers where I could start looking for somewhere to fish ? Obviously dont expect top secret information, I've bought a house in Beeston (edge of Nottingham) and have been looking around the Attenborough nature reserve area which has a couple of weirs and around the Long Eaton area. I never seem to come across any anglers and the local tackle shops are a bit vague ! Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Dave H.

The Earl of Harrington club would be a starting point for the Derwent www.theearlofharringtonsac.co.uk

I was a member of the Derbyshire county angling club but no longer am as the stretch I fished is now a shadow of what it was due to our furry friends.
Thanks Graham,we have similar problems on the Kennet which is my local.
I joined the Eof H club last year been trying on the Derwent behind Rolls Royce just Chub so far though.Keep trying .Cheers Dave H.

The Long Eaton Victoria AS water opposite bank to what used to be ferry field day ticket (now club water) has produced some good fish but from what I have been told its a night water as the boat channel runs close to that bank. might be worth some investigation.

You are well placed moving to Beeston,the Trent is on your doorstep and pretty good for Barbel.
Join Notts AA and head below beeston weir as it’s members only.
I know lots of good spots down there but don’t ignore the weir itself as there is some big girls in there.
Clifton bend is good as well just walk past the weir and down until the river turns left
Bit further on is a land slip that locals call the island ,some good pegs on there and plenty of big Barbel 9lbs plus .
If you want to meet for a recce at the start of the season let me know as I will be renewing my membership but tend to spend my barbelling time around Newark nowadays, it would be good to revisit some old haunts I haven’t fished in 5 years or more.

Matt

Brilliant, thanks chaps, I'll get straight on it . And yes Matt a recce sounds good , ok if I give you a call a bit nearer the start ?, my mobile nos 07970 527689,drop me a text or ring and I'll keep hold of your no.
Cheers,
Dave H.

The Earl of Harrington club would be a starting point for the Derwent www.theearlofharringtonsac.co.uk

I was a member of the Derbyshire county angling club but no longer am as the stretch I fished is now a shadow of what it was due to our furry friends.

Graham

Which bit did you used to fish? been fishing the derwent pretty regular for last 3-4 years, my catch rate has been good, ( but im not sure what it used to be like so cant compare) never seen an otter yet though

ATB
Jez

Graham

Which bit did you used to fish? been fishing the derwent pretty regular for last 3-4 years, my catch rate has been good, ( but im not sure what it used to be like so cant compare) never seen an otter yet though

ATB
Jez

Ambaston, fish were almost guaranteed a few years ago ( as much as they can be in angling) with a good range of sizes being caught along with some decent chub, now you would be lucky to find any barbel in the stretch. My lads friend used to travel from Bristol to fish there but no longer does

I have a friend that used to fish downstream at church wilne and the story is the same there.

It might just be a coincidence that the downturn coincided with otter being seen on the lower stretches of Ambaston where it was very lightly fished, it could be that the floods took them into the Trent and they stayed there, its worth noting that the more heavily fished and populated areas around borrowash and upstream of there still produce but whether its as good as it was I don't know.

Back