• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in the lower Severn??

Hi guys, I recently joined the BAA and wondered if there was anywhere worth fishing with a chance of the odd barbel around Tewkesbury area? Happy to target the roach and bream mainly but would be nice to know there’s an outside chance of hooking something bigger!

Many thanks
Ollie

The Lower Severn tends to fish better when there's some extra water on it, like the next day or two. Try to coincide future visits when we've had rain and the river is rising, to increase your chances of a barbel. The Lower Severn can be really tough, but the rewards are there, so don't be put off if you don't catch.

Thanks Jon,

I'm hoping to have a few hours Saturday afternoon, what sort of weight do you think I'll need to hold bottom?

I’m fishing at the moment and at the near the edge can get away with 2.5oz but have got 4.5oz in the middle. I’m fishing into the flow as opposed upstreaming, so could probably use less if doing that.

A few days ago I used 1.5oz and would have used an oz if I’d had any with me.

I believe it’s due to rise some more today but I don’t know the river well enough to say what it will be doing by Saturday.

Take a selection and I’m sure it will work out 👍

Back