• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel from B.A.A

Hi Fellas
Have recentley joined BAA again, looking to widen my search for a big barbel. I would appreciate any info any of you have on the Avon stretches of Charlton, Cropthorne, Wood Norton, Fladbury, Wick, Pershore. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as I havent even seen these stretches as yet.
I have a very good knowledge of pike/zander fishing on the Severn and would happily exchange information on venues.
Look forward to speaking with you

regards

Darren

Well, all those stretches give you a chance of Barbel. I've found the Avon to have a reasonable population of Barbel throughout it's length although some areas will throw up better pegs. The Avon can suffer from very clear water which means fishing early/late is often more productive. Otherwise extra water is always an obvious time to be out providing temps are ok. You'll find all the weirs get panned throughout the summer/autumn months so I always look for pegs with an increased flow, usually between bends away from the crowds. Usual methods seem to work but I find it better to have a few pegs on the go as it's not often you'll catch a number of fish from the same peg without moving.

Hi Lee
Cheers for the info. I was surprised to see so many weirs on the various stretches and thought that they might be the first places the crowds headed for. The weir at Fladbury looks like it must get hammered!!
As long as the weather stays mild ill try and make a few trips up before the end on the season and ill take your advice and try fish away from the popular pegs, even if it means a fair walk.

Back