• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing made easier...

Graham Hunt

If you're anything like me you get used to going fishing with the same bags, buckets etc etc either unaware of or not motivated enough to change to alternatives which would make you life a lot easier.

The new year seems like a good time to make improvements so i'm interested to know what changes you've made, big or small, that have made a difference to your efficiency on the bank.

For me it was getting a rig bin. Simple yes, but i messed around for years without one and now have a variety of combi rigs ready to go :)

A few years ago I got fed up of being ripped off for trout fishing day tickets so I decided to find my own fishing. Since then I've only paid twice, both times while on holidays, and in the meantime found some fabulous free fishing for barbel, carp, chub, trout and grayling amongst other species. Most of it in unfished, quiet waters where you certainly can't park your car anywhere near where you fish.

I've never enjoyed my fishing as much.

For me it's got to be finding out about a river 2 mile away which has some cracking fish and even better it is free fishing :).

For me it will be an op on my arthritic big toe, which means I will rove even further, and I will no longer Squeal like a little girl when I stub my toe on a tree root.
Shaun of the limp

Hi men ,

Buying a estate car to use as a hotel for overnighters / 3 day sessions .

teme035-1.jpg

Sue is about to start a barbel breccy , sleeping bags on the mattress , and the dog has gone for a walk , happy days .

Hatter

That's a serious looking rope in the bag Mark. Bit steep where you fish?

Hi men,

Stu , the Teme in the winter takes no prisoners , and the thicker rope is better to grip :) .

If it were a olimpic event , me and sue would be in the squad !.

Hatter

If you look at the archives you will see me writing on a fairly regular basis that the fishi if your dreams cannot be caught from your favourite chair in front of the TV.

About time I paid attention to that myself.

Not going to help me catch a barbel in a million years but that is a continental thing.

On the most benign day, when the river is low and clear, getting the float rod out when all around are sat motionless with 2 rods stuck up in the air. I have caught Barbel on the float from every Trent venue I have fished. Try it you wont be dissapointed...

Back