• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in Surrey

Neil Lumby

Hi, hoping to get some advice/ info on club tickets on the Mole or wey in Surrey. Looking to get 1 or 2 tickets for the coming season after mainly just fishing my local river Wandle and occasionally the Thames for the last few years I fancy a change.
I’ve looked at the byfleet ticket (waiting list in place at the mo), dorking, carshalton and godalming tickets. Is there any other options? I mainly like to fish for barbel of an evening usually a few hours into dark but think some of these tickets are dawn to dusk only. Maybe I’ll have to get used to daytime barbelling, not something I’ve done much of... any advice much appreciated, PM’s welcome
Thanks, Neil.

I had a Byfleet ticket a few years back. Some lovely looking stretches of the river wey & there are some big fish in there but for me it was a case of trying lots of stretches & figuring it out myself - catching lots of bream from snags in the process. I barely saw anyone else on the bank but it was a quiet club a few years back so this may have changed. Quite a few of the stretches allowed night fishing as I remember, I always fished in the evenings but never all night.

The other option would be Woking, Byfleet has the stretch from Weybridge (roughly) up to Ripley & then Woking has most of it going towards Guildford. Woking is a busier club though & as I understand there is some pressure on some of their known stretches but someone else on here would be better informed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I had a Byfleet ticket a few years back. Some lovely looking stretches of the river wey & there are some big fish in there but for me it was a case of trying lots of stretches & figuring it out myself - catching lots of bream from snags in the process. I barely saw anyone else on the bank but it was a quiet club a few years back so this may have changed. Quite a few of the stretches allowed night fishing as I remember, I always fished in the evenings but never all night.

The other option would be Woking, Byfleet has the stretch from Weybridge (roughly) up to Ripley & then Woking has most of it going towards Guildford. Woking is a busier club though & as I understand there is some pressure on some of their known stretches but someone else on here would be better informed.

Hope that helps.
Hi Adam, thanks for the reply appreciate it. Hadn’t thought about the Woking ticket, will have a look into it. I wonder if they have a dawn til dusk rule too... like you, the byfleet ticket is appealing mainly because it means I can fish into the evening. Not interested in doing the nights.
Think I’ll have to come round to doing some daytime barbelling. Just something I’ve never done much of or felt confident doing.

No problem at all Neil. The woking ticket definitely allows fishing into the evening, the well known spot is Pigeon House - I think Byfleet have the opposite bank?

Woking has some lovely lakes on the ticket also but was a bit regimented and busy for me on these so I decided against it

Cheers Adam will definitely have a look into that then. Have known about the Woking lakes (langhams, cobbets and Sandersons) but busy carp club/syndicate lakes are what have driven me to enjoy more time on the rivers these days haha

I was a member at Cobham Court for many years, they have quite a few miles of the Mole, but I think they have been amalgamated into Feltham & Twickenham Piscatorials.

Some good responses here, just to add as a Byfleet myself we have access to Calpac's waters at Cobham namely manor pond & River Mole
also we are affiliated to TVAA again they have a number of waters miles upon miles of riverbank

Mole is not a patch on its former self. Carshalton, Brockham and upper parts of Dorking together with parts of Cobham Court and Leatherhead stretches all had barbel but i don't think they are there in the same numbers anymore. But I haven't fished the Mole in probably 15 years so (hopefully) it may have recovered. Byfleet is worth a punt on the waiting list - others to consider, Godalming, Guildford and Farnham on the Wey.

Back