• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in Shropshire?

Paul Eve

Hi Guys
We have just returned from a relocation recce to Shropshire and are now looking to potentially move to the Ludlow area. I believe there is good fishing to be had in the Rivers Severn and the Teme but would like to get the lowdown from people who live in the area as to where are the best places to start with a Barbel quest? I am happy to drive within reason to the best spots. Any information would be great.
Many Thanks
Paul

We are visiting Erdiston ourselves in 8 days, I have purchased a B.A.A ticket on the strength of its many accessible areas of the rivers Severn and Teme.
I m sure somebody will be along later to give a better answer, but as there are many miles of rivers to explore the BAA stretches should keep you very busy , I know I will be .

The BAA have a good website….. here …

David

Hi Paul being a Shropshire lad I've fished the Ironbridge area of the Severn for about 70% of my fishing. It's my closest part of the Severn and also my favourite. You've got Coalport waters, the brewery stretch and also a free stretch just after and before the brewery waters which is highly populated. A lot of 5lb to 8lb fish down there so plenty of bites to be had. Then you've got dawley angling around Ironbridge wharfage. I've never fished this stretch but know it's also highly populated with the same sort of stamp of fish as Coalport and very similar snag wise and rocky bouldery swims so have a good lead around and find the snags before fishing. Dawleys stretch throws up the odd bigger fish too.

Then heading out of Ironbridge you have Telford AA waters. Bit tougher and busier due to easy access but more of a challenge with the odd bigger fish too. In the summer it does get busy and the fish are definitely pressured but come late autumn and winter you can always find space and get on.
Personally I think these stretches are Shropshires gems on the Severn. Let the baa lads fish there busy waters and have a go here instead pal 😉

Hi Guys
We have just returned from a relocation recce to Shropshire and are now looking to potentially move to the Ludlow area. I believe there is good fishing to be had in the Rivers Severn and the Teme but would like to get the lowdown from people who live in the area as to where are the best places to start with a Barbel quest? I am happy to drive within reason to the best spots. Any information would be great.
Many Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul, I've had a house in Ludlow since 2009. Back then I would have said the Teme but now you willl find it very tough going for barbel with just the odd fish coming out. Ive fished 4 sessions this season without a bite. Your best options are a BAA ticket for the Severn and a Hereford ticket for the Wye, plenty of decent fishing but not on your doorstep any more I'm afraid. The nearest BAA stretch is Arley 16 miles and Hereford options are 25-30 miles.

Hi Paul being a Shropshire lad I've fished the Ironbridge area of the Severn for about 70% of my fishing. It's my closest part of the Severn and also my favourite. You've got Coalport waters, the brewery stretch and also a free stretch just after and before the brewery waters which is highly populated. A lot of 5lb to 8lb fish down there so plenty of bites to be had. Then you've got dawley angling around Ironbridge wharfage. I've never fished this stretch but know it's also highly populated with the same sort of stamp of fish as Coalport and very similar snag wise and rocky bouldery swims so have a good lead around and find the snags before fishing. Dawleys stretch throws up the odd bigger fish too.

Then heading out of Ironbridge you have Telford AA waters. Bit tougher and busier due to easy access but more of a challenge with the odd bigger fish too. In the summer it does get busy and the fish are definitely pressured but come late autumn and winter you can always find space and get on.
Personally I think these stretches are Shropshires gems on the Severn. Let the baa lads fish there busy waters and have a go here instead pal 😉
Where i experienced my first ever trip to a river, ( Dale End Park ). Lovely stretch of river. Been back many times since. Once had a red letter day there, 11 barbel, including my PB of 9.12lb. Also my PB chub sitting in the snow, 5.7lb. Such fond memories.

Back