• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel & Crayfish

Ian Sewter

Senior Member & Supporter
Other than using flavoured marbles and ball bearings are there any barbel baits resistant to crayfish or that they do not like? (to dream the impossible dream!!)

Ian-the simple answer is no!! Shrink mesh or tights are only temporary fixes, as is using rock hard baits.
On the Kennet, which is infested with the damned things, I've found hard pellets get far less attention than boilies, paste or meat.
Also, if you're getting pestered by them non-stop, I'd suggest a change of swim, or alter where you cast in your swim-this has worked on the Kennet for me at times.

The Thames around Oxford was infested with the dam things. We found that if you fished with larger baits then when they became a pain put some smaller baits in as loose feed. It would only stop for a short period and we had to repeat the feed. A friend of mine who had his own carp lakes said that fermented hemp was the only thing they would not eat. On a positive note the crays has almost vanished from the main Thames around Oxford.

Agree with you there Paul...fished Gosdtow on Saturday no crayfish at all, same on the Cherwell, your surprised now when you get one.

Be interesting to know what's going on with them in our area, just hope it stays like it.

I have spoke to people who would perhaps know why but they say we're the only area reporting this happening so haven't got a clue why.

There are still loads on the Windrush and Evenlode Jason. On the Thames the numbers seem to go down after the floods of 2007. They have a lot downstream of Oxford towards Reading as well. Perhaps the chub have had them all! This season there has been an explosion of roach, no crays to eat the eggs? 40lb + bags in matches.

Other than using flavoured marbles and ball bearings are there any barbel baits resistant to crayfish or that they do not like? (to dream the impossible dream!!)

Wooden balls predrilled and soaked in any number of flavours, and a stiffish hooklink is your best bet.

Back