• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel and water temperature.

Rob Smith

I have been reading about barbel fishing for some time and am only just starting to understand that there is a correlation between the best time to fish for barbel and the temperature of the water you are fishing.

Can any of you guys on here explain to me the best times/temperatures to fish for them. My basic understanding is that it is best in the cold weather to fish for barbel when the water temperature is rising from a temperature colder than 5 degrees. Especially if there has been a long cold period in the late Autumn time and the water is particularly coloured.

However, what effect does the temperature have on barbel catch rates in the height of a British summer.

I also used to find that it is best to fish for barbel after a period of high water when the water level is falling.

Are my current observations and interpretations correct, I read things in various articles years ago which is what made me start to look for temperature fluctuations. ???

If not can you set me straight please ???

Last edited:
Back