• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel and flurocarbons?

Richard Barrett

I've been reading a few old threads and articles on the forum, and this really jumped out at me.

I think it was Andy Francis that wrote about them in 2012.

My experience with them has all been poor. Line breaking for unknown reasons, mainly around knots. The worst has been Berkley Vanish, the best used by fly fishermen and vastly expensive Reverge.

I've also read that barbel spook at the stuff (Bob Roberts) So does anyone use it for hook links?

Last season I used Trilene Extra Limp in 12lb clear and found it cheap and very good. But I also have tried GR60 light green and Pro Gold clear.

Korda iq soft 12lb has never let me down. And caught me loads of Barbel. I always use a Grinner knot when tying to swivel, and a knot less knot the hook end.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

When its used as a hooklink i haven't experienced any problems with it spooking fish (not that i am aware of). The flouro i have used sinks well and when on the bottom and is very difficult to see. The only reasons i can imagine it spooking barbel is if they are grubbing around near the link and touch the stiff line or possibly bumping into it when its used as main line?
I have had problems before with it parting around the eye of the hook as their is less stretch than mono. An outturned eye or a straight eye does reduced the pressure on the line at that point imo.

Dave

never had a problem with esp ghost parting on knots, or at all tbh in normal use. well wetted polamor and grinner knots have been fine and landed doubles. not lost a fish to line breaking for years (touch wood)

Always used floro for the last 4 years or so, but mainly use sink braid now, find it much more natural in presentation (I hope) and very strong knot strength.

For general pellet feeder tactics on the Severn and Wye, I use 11lb Kryston Incognito Flurocarbon for hooklengths and I really get on with it. On occasion I also go down in size to the 9lb BS version with 5 - 6 ft hooklengths and I've had Barbel to over 11lb on this setup.

If I'm targeting bigger barbel on smaller snag infested rivers then I switch over to coated braid. Regarding watching DVD's, I've seen that clip too; however Flurocarbon really works for me, it puts more fish on the bank and especially in low clear conditions like we've seen all summer, so I won't be ditching it.

Note once you get above 11lb BS i.e the 13lb BS version, I personally find it much less supple so I don't really use it.

Some years ago 2000-2007 when I fished the Thames with considerable success, fluoro hooklinks & mainline made all the difference, my results compared with many others were noticeably much better and more consistant, OK luck played a part, but my buddy,s were too a man using mono. good enough for me!
Having tried many different brands, X-line stands out for both mainline and hooklinks, I now use it for salmon and it is far more reliable than even the really expensive stuff aimed at the game market!
peter

What is the perceived advantage of using fluro hooklengths ?

Hi Mike apart from its clear colour. Its typycally heavier than mono. I also like the stiffness which i use in conjunction with a combi rig. Always use a mahseer knot always use Sunline FC fluoro.

Thanks Jon , and the downside of the stuff ,unreliable B.S. ?

It's more brittle than mono, is less abrasion resistant, has less stretch and is generally thicker for a given breaking strain. Underwater footage has shown it's not invisible in water so imo should be looked at by trade descriptions! :D Can you tell I don't like it! However, having read Jon's reason's for using it I can totally understand why he chooses to use it. Each to their own and if it works for you, great.

Thanks Jon , and the downside of the stuff ,unreliable B.S. ?

None at all the fluoro i use is excellent. Must be 6 yesrs ago when i got into fluoro and most of thats because its heavy and stiff. Didnt like one of the well known brands yes brittle and no abrasion resistance. But came across Sunline and never looked back.

Flouro

I think part of the problem is people going on the breaking strain rather than the diameter. Also, using too stiff a rod can cause problems due to it's brittle nature. All my past problems have been with breakages at the hook, so I now use it as a combi link material which overcomes this problem and gives better presentation imo.

Nick C

Used to use Korda IQ and more recently Gardner Mirage. Never had any issues with B/S. Mirage is very underrated and much better value for money than most products in the market.

Have used X line as mainline with Kryston incognito as a hook link. This has been fine in big rivers where fish can be played "normally". However have had a number of hook links break at the hook (knotless knot) when clamping down on fish to avoid snags. As a result have changed to mono hook links that seems to have solved the problem.

Geoff what about X Line as a hooklink?

The sunline fluro you use jon frisby which brand is it,i have been looking at this for hooklengths but not sure which was ideal for hooklengths

I did use exactly the same setup as Geoff, Xline through to Incognito but also had a couple of hook links part on me under heavy pressure so will not use again, I had previously sung the praises of Incognito but not where there is any underwater foliage anymore. Changed over to braid with a pva bag to avoid tangles and had no problems since.

Back