• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner or not

Adrian Cole

Hi
Being new to river fishing (ledger/feeder) I am interest to know what the collective use/prefer & maybe why. So what reel do you use and why

Cheers

Adie

Hi Adrian like most things it's personal choice.
I use baitrunners but depending what area I am fishing dictates wether they are on or off.
So basically a snaggy swim the B/R will be off and i will sit right next to the rod as when Barbel strike they do it with some power and ive had rods pulled out of the rests.
On the other hand it's nice to have the B/R as when the swim is clear of snags etc I use the B/R especially as i will be probolay be fishing 2 rods and it gives you a little bit more time and hopefully saves the rod from being dragged in espcially if youv'e been distracted.
I currently have Shimano 10000xtea and penn slammer 560L (liveliner) and imo the penn has a much smoother clutch.

Horses for courses but one thing is for sure, you don't have to engage the baitrunner on a baitrunner reel. It's damned difficult to engage a baitrunner on a rell that doesn't have the feature.

I asked the question as in my most prolific fishing days (mid 70's on) all my reels were Mitchell 300's, 810's so a baitrunner never existed as such. When ledgering for carp etc in those days I used to leave the bail arm off with a bobbin and a home made device that would now be called a line clip on the rod...it worked quite effective in them days :). Whilst I appreciate its a personal thing, people tend to follow trends so thought I would ask what the trend is.

Cheers

Adie

I asked the question as in my most prolific fishing days (mid 70's on) all my reels were Mitchell 300's, 810's so a baitrunner never existed as such. When ledgering for carp etc in those days I used to leave the bail arm off with a bobbin and a home made device that would now be called a line clip on the rod...it worked quite effective in them days :). Whilst I appreciate its a personal thing, people tend to follow trends so thought I would ask what the trend is.

Cheers

Adie[/QUOTE

If you caught on it carry on doing what you did in the seventies,why change and go with trends.

it would seem that modern trends require you to have a degree in origami to tie a rig.

Not everyone uses complicated rigs just as not everyone uses baitrunners.;)
I do use baitrunners but my rigs tend to be very simple.

Have owned a variety of bait runners since their introduction in late 80s. Still have them now, use the reel but never use this facility. Bit of a joke in my opinion especially if one (as one should be) is next to the rods. I lesson the drag & on lifting the rod with a running fish, hold the spool with either hand or forefinger allowing line to run whilst adjusting drag at the same time.

Cheers, Jon

Same has above, I use my old Cardinall 55's, which with the clutch slackened off acts just like a b/r, just tighten clutch up whilst playing. Never had any problems so far:eek:

Have owned a variety of bait runners since their introduction in late 80s. Still have them now, use the reel but never use this facility. Bit of a joke in my opinion especially if one (as one should be) is next to the rods. I lesson the drag & on lifting the rod with a running fish, hold the spool with either hand or forefinger allowing line to run whilst adjusting drag at the same time.

Cheers, Jon

From what I have played with, the likes of the Diawa range of front drag Match reels feel far better quality & smoothness (especially the drag IMO) than any of the Shimano offerings for equal price baitrunner or not.

Cheers

Adie

I am exactly of the same opinion Adie, I have a few different Diawa's & are much more enjoyable to use that my variety of shimano's. I have never used any of the Okuma range but will be looking into these in due course - from what folks have said here seemingly good value for money too.

Cheers, Jon

From what I have played with, the likes of the Diawa range of front drag Match reels feel far better quality & smoothness (especially the drag IMO) than any of the Shimano offerings for equal price baitrunner or not.

Are you only talking about the rear drag Shimmys? I'd suggest that you try the 4000/6000/8000Ds or XTFAs before you totally discount Shimanos. Wouldn't swap them for the equivalent Daiwa freespool reels and a fair lump of cash. Daiwa don't do smallish baitrunners very well at all IMHO.

Are you only talking about the rear drag Shimmys? I'd suggest that you try the 4000/6000/8000Ds or XTFAs before you totally discount Shimanos. Wouldn't swap them for the equivalent Daiwa freespool reels and a fair lump of cash. Daiwa don't do smallish baitrunners very well at all IMHO.

No, I have tried the front drag Shimanos as well, I don't like rear drag. I have actually been bought as a Get Well Soon gift one of the XT 4000 FA mini baitrunners, not used or loaded it up yet but think I would need to look into a single handle for it if I keep it. I am not sure I want/need a freespool Its probably too late to take the Mini BTR back now and exchange for a Daiwa Whisker or above..but then I was almost convinced to look in the loft for my old Mitchells.

Cheers

Adie

Good clutch on the 4000D's - great reels for small to medium rivers.
Only use the baitrunner when taking a leak and when 'free' line is needed - which is useful, rather than open the bail arm.
Cheers
Bob

Ancient Mitchells for me , or if I'm feeling all modern and high tech , Cardinal 54 .Slacken the clutch off on these reels and they are pretty good at pretending to be baitrunners

Baitrunners. As Jon Frisby said, "Great for taking a leak etc" :D

Even when your next to your rods, barbel bites always seen to take you by surprise, they're more positive takes on bolt-rigs though. I have mine tightened so they start to pay out when the rod is bent round and almost pointing at the fish, this helps set the hook so there's no need to strike, just lift into it.

i use baitrunners about 50% of the time for my barbel fishing, as bob sais "taking a leak" also in my case when using 2 rods and rebaiting and/or recasting ect i flick the runner switch on until both rods are settled back in the rests (i had a real pullround on the wye once whilst baiting my other rod
yep! there a was trying to play a barbel while the hook was pulling deeper into finger and a 2 oz bomb swinging driving it in even more!:eek::eek:
again no more spilt hot coffee or sandwiches sent flying, theres a time and place for everything;) like most i dont use the b/runner facility all the time:)

Well thank you all for your comments and opinions. As I have been bought a baitrunner as a gift I guess ill use it, if I find I am not using the facility then I can always save up for a Daiwa T-DR or better.

Cheers

Adie

Back