• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baiting poles

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi, just wondering if anyone uses baiting poles for dropping rigs/bait with more accuracy on rivers...and if so what type and has it been a benefit? I was thinking of using one on a couple of Ouse swims where casting space is limited but I wonder how difficult it would be to ship out in a flow
Thanks

Hi, just wondering if anyone uses baiting poles for dropping rigs/bait with more accuracy on rivers...and if so what type and has it been a benefit? I was thinking of using one on a couple of Ouse swims where casting space is limited but I wonder how difficult it would be to ship out in a flow
Thanks
I have tried it on the Hants Avon and found that the flow was way too much for floating the pole over so I reckon that you will have to be able to ship it out above the water.

I used to use a 13m pole with an adapted top which I used a u front rod rest and held the line and shipped it out and lowered it into place and that was on the ouse

I've liked the idea of a hollow pole, fixed in place, with the hollow tip just over the area to be fished. Then bait could be fed down the bankside end and straight down into the swim. Totally impractical, but a nice idea maybe.
(thought about it when fishing the Dorset Stour at Throop, where shipping out a baiting pole every 10mins would probably really spook the fish, but a fixed pole might not. But pure fantasy I reckon)

In the past I have used a 16m Maver pole to position a hookbait with a backlead into positions that I could not cast. A past member on here Carey street, caught me doing it once. Tye wraps along a couple of sections to hold the line along the pole and leads in pole pots. To be honest its a lot of mucking about and limits your mobility. There are other ways to accurately position hookbait into awkward areas that are less hassle you just need to think about it a bit .🙂

Last edited:
While yes I can see the advantages of it if you need to get a rig right under a tree or something but it’s just more crap to carry around with you.
you certainly wouldn’t take yer 14m garbalino on a roving session where it would prove it’s worth more usefully as your changing swims a lot.
i carry enough crap with me especially on sitty waity sessions, the last thing I want is to be adding to it is a bleeding long pole around too.
Oh and all them sections laying around on the riverbank as you break it down. Christ I honestly can’t think of anything more irritating when barbel fishing

Last edited:
Ok, here is one method I was going to keep quiet about, I use it to get baits into awkward positions on small rivers, I trot PVA bags. You get a solid pva bag,I use the NGT ones 100 x 130 they are nice and thick. In the summer you have to judge the melt rate,size of lead and sometimes double bag. I put the lead, terminal tackle and freebies inside the bag with tubing up the line. The bag is then sealed around the tubing, the line above greased. You can run the bag into most snags/awkward areas, when it gets into position you hold it in place and the bag will melt, as it bursts feed it some line, the terminal tackle will then drop even further downstream with the flow. Importantly you do not get the loud lead entrance that will spook most Barbel. Its caught me a lot of good Barbel over the years,hope it gets a few for others here.

Last edited:
The new aqua pole is very compact, light and telescopic so negates the need to lay sections on the bank, although at £200 a bit steep for occasional use. Definitely trying the PVA trick 1st

Ok, here is one method I was going to keep quiet about, I use it to get baits into awkward positions on small rivers, I trot PVA bags. You get a solid pva bag,I use the NGT ones 100 x 130 they are nice and thick. In the summer you have to judge the melt rate,size of lead and sometimes double bag. I put the lead, terminal tackle and freebies inside the bag with tubing up the line. The bag is then sealed around the tubing, the line above greased. You can run the bag into most snags/awkward areas, when it gets into position you hold it in place and the bag will melt, as it bursts feed it some line, the terminal tackle will then drop even further downstream with the flow. Importantly you do not get the loud lead entrance that will spook most Barbel. Its caught me a lot of good Barbel over the years,hope it gets a few for others here.
Sounds interesting Mark. Is there a float involved?

No Paul, the sealed large pva bag is your 'float' it holds up quite a large amount of weight and you can run them for a long way depending on the flow, before they burst,even further if you double bag. Its like trotting a small balloon, you look at how the flow runs in the swim,cast the bag out above where you want it to run to and then let it go. Never used it with braid because my clubs ban it but that would make it even easier. You can correct the line to keep it running straight. I sometimes use a cork ball glued to the top of the rig tubing but that's for another reason. With floating pennywort you can run it really tight and then release it underneath ,no need for accurate casting. Richard its quite surprising how much bait/lead a large sealed pva bag will hold up. I do not try to put any air gap in a bag,just all food/tackle

Last edited:
I do the same but with two pva nuggets lick one and sandwich the hook using the other stuck together...trot that down the same as mark does getting it under overhanging bushes then hold the bait in the flow until the nuggets melt I then slide on a lead using a backlead clip so it pins the line to the bottom

Back