• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitcasting reels

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for a baitcasting reel specifically for a light perch/chub lure set up …casting small lures up to 10g on small rivers?

For casting sub 10g it’s going to get expensive especially the lower end of your casting range.

It’s worth looking at John Sykes as he gets lots of stuff in on exchange etc. Some of the Chinese ones are well received.

I’m still on Fixed spools for this very reason.

I have two expensive modern bait casters and they aren't brilliant at weights under 10g.

Thanks all, definitely looks like the lighter end of this will require a bigger budget

I’ve just bought a Daiwa Alphas Air and it’s incredible although it’s twice your budget. I also have an Abu Roxani BFS, which was around £150 and it’s fine casting in the 3 - 10 gram range.

Another reel worth a look at is this one:

At the cheap end but mine was able to cast 3g+ I also sold it on ebay for more than I paid for it.

Before I bought the Daiwa Alphas, I had one of these on back order from Todber Manor for a few months, but I cancelled it when they couldn’t confirm delivery of stock:

The problem you have at the moment, is there seems to be very few quality BFS reel models available in the UK, due to Far East supply problems, with stock being shipped to North America, rather than Europe. The Shimano Curado BFS in the above link has some very good reviews (see YouTube), so you may be worth waiting? I believe that Todber Manor are waiting delivery on 30+ reels and the RRP is slightly over your budget? It may be worth giving them a call?

Last edited:
I have a Curado L and a Tatula 100HS. The Daiwa was reviewed by an American magazine as the best for casting lighter weights. In field trials however it was no better than the Shimano. I used different weights and different rods and put flags out where the weights landed and there was nothing in it. A fixed spool reel would easily beat them both with 10g and less.

Casting distances aside the Curado wins hands down on everything else.

One other thing to add is that whilst casting with a baitcaster can be a pleasure, in some situations it can be a real pain. On small overgrown rivers a fs reel allows you to flick a lure out to places you could not reach with a baitcaster.

When we are taking small lures, the accuracy and distance achieved with the Daiwa Alphas is just insane. It’s totally blown me away, I can accurately hit tight spots, which I could not hit with a fixed spool reel. There is zero drift on the cast and it’s dead straight 👍🏻

I admire your skill Neil. Whilst in open water I can drop a lure onto a sixpence (nearly) every time, when it comes to lures under 10g or flicking them under overhanging trees I have to resort to a fs reel.

When we are taking small lures, the accuracy and distance achieved with the Daiwa Alphas is just insane. It’s totally blown me away, I can accurately hit tight spots, which I could not hit with a fixed spool reel. There is zero drift on the cast and it’s dead straight 👍🏻
Yes I’ve heard some very good things said about the Alphas (Curado too)…might have to up my budget, just getting hold of one at moment is an issue

The Lure Anglers Society is worth keeping an eye on, there's occasionally some good reels up for sale
I personally know this seller and can assure you that he doesn't sell tat, he's a proper tackle tart and based in Doncaster
Cheers Phil…I’ve just bought a new BFS Curado offer accepted under my budget, that popped up on eBay today, so all sorted. Thanks

Back