• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait making...

I have made my own boilies for some time now and I do it exactly as you described 1 egg mixes fresh before a session. The bait is at its absolute best made literally hours before its cast out.
I have never used any rolling devices I just hand roll my own dumbbell shaped boilies to the desired size. Always worth keeping a smidge of the paste leftover for a wrap or two.
You won’t go far wrong with a JB basemix.
He does some good ones with barbel in mind like the big rivers, taste, bio shelfish and if you like a spiced mix the Bombay mix has proved it’s worth with barbel on many occasions.
Here’s a few of mine straight out the pan. The most important thing is not to over cook them. The centre should still be soft and paste like with a hard crust.
View attachment 12554
They look similar to mine rich John baker frost and flood .....I tend to do a one egg mix the day before I go takes about 20 mins
2CB7EF4D-0DDA-4410-8B68-25F28AF61CF5.jpeg

I definitely recommend the Gardner equipment 👍. I only make small batches at a time the evening before fishing usually 3 egg mixes. I found the Gardner sausage roller with the smaller rollaball table perfect for small batches. Also a lot easier on space than the larger table.

Dare I ask where the he'll you got that hook link material from? Never seen anything like it...Well maybe once when I unblocked my bath plug hole🤮😂😂
You can get it online Julian it’s called mimicker they also do a leadcore version

You can get it online Julian it’s called mimicker they also do a leadcore version

First saw this at a Barbel Society meeting here in Tewkesbury a few years back, demonstrated by Dave Mason, of course it could be argued a fish could be spooked by it, some say it's better what they can see (mono , braid) rather than sense something odd here? 🧐

They used to sell it years ago in one of the mail order magazines..reckon it would be good, if you still had weed left in the river you fish. That is no good for the Teme or the Severn:( I agree about the spooking off line that's not seen..like a cobweb spooking you when it's not seen or expected.

Sorry to go off topic from the OP, I got some of this stuff recently. Looks the part on the spool, if a little light in colour.

I tied up a rig with it and used it on a session last week, more as an experiment than anything else (water was coloured). Once wet, it went surprisingly dark in colour and once ‘brushed’ in the direction of the hook (replicating the effect the flow would have, presumably) took on the appearance of a slightly scruffy & thick length of very dark wool.

Fair play to those who have used it and got results. I’ll give it another bash when the river is low and clear next season, but for me, first impressions weren’t great...

Back