• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait droppers

the best ones by a mile were the Seymo teardrop ones, 2oz, 4oz and 8oz. The 4oz ones were the best, they stopped making them, but i think Dinsmores make the same model now, not cheap though, 12-13quid i think.

The simple truth is, all commercially available baitdroppers are crap.
Seymo came the closest, as previously stated.
All models either use plastic stems that snap, or brass stems that bend. And most are far too small and underweighted.
It's no good having a stem weighted with an ounce and a dropper weighing 6 ounces when full of bait. Which every single available model does, regardless of ratio.

One day, some major manufacturer will cotton on to what barbel anglers actually need instead of what they think they need ( my money is on Korum ).
Until then, my DIY jobbies are far better than anything out there. They aren't neat, they aren't pretty, but they work and the stems don't bend just from landing. And most importantly of all, they're castable.

Found this in my loft I've not used it for a few years!!! I used this in the early 90's when a group of us were fishing the Lower Severn below Worcester it worked really well but did take a while to get a big bed of hemp out,we also used a variety of tins to make our own but i cant find any of those.

Attachments

• IMG_3764[662].JPG
    IMG_3764[662].JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_3762[661].JPG
    IMG_3762[661].JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_3761[659].JPG
    IMG_3761[659].JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 771
the steel seymo (dinsmores) ones are a good body/design. the weak points for casting them are the hinge which twists on retrieve and the weighted release rod that bends but that's not too much of a problem. the medium and large ones that i've used for casting with a spod rod on the severn ive beefed up by replacing the hinge with a stronger one and bolting it on and shortened the rod a bit. now works perfectly.

I was lucky, when jk tackle in Bicester closed down I bought his remaining stock of seymo's at 20% off so ive got enough to se me through.

As an addition to the standard dropper. I have been using the Spopper, which is a modified spomb. I hope Christophe Pelhate doesn't mind me plugging this baitdropper. I can even bait up a far bank swim on the Trent with ease or underarm it close in. Comes in the standard 3 sizes.
20180620_135016.jpg

As an addition to the standard dropper. I have been using the Spopper, which is a modified spomb. I hope Christophe Pelhate doesn't mind me plugging this baitdropper. I can even bait up a far bank swim on the Trent with ease or underarm it close in. Comes in the standard 3 sizes.View attachment 5738
Got mine last season, best bit of kit acquired in a long time, very accurate. Expensive mind.Could always get standard one and modify it.

Christophe did a video on how to make spoopers but I've lost the link . Can anyone help

This may be it..

Is it possible to buy the spopper rather than make one as its not on the Specimen Fishing UK website anymore? Also what advantages does it have apart from say directional stability over an extra large open ended feeder?

Back