• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

bait droppers

Ben Whitehouse

evening all,

anyone know if there is anywhere to buy a decent small baitdropper, i am looking for a plastic one which i know is a bit of a mission

regard,bw

evening all,

anyone know if there is anywhere to buy a decent small baitdropper, i am looking for a plastic one which i know is a bit of a mission

regard,bw

Double post..sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
evening all,

regard,bw

Hi Ben...Craig is right when he says that Fox do some good ones but you must make sure that you tie a loop of braid or something betwwen the body and the door near to the hinge.The doors have a tendency to come off and this at least allows you to reattach it as it cann't disappear downstream.:)

Rich.:)

hi try the fred crouch droppers there brilliant ive been using mine for years and never had a single problem

Used to use a Thamesley dropper many moons ago which was bomb proof, don't know if they are still made though. It was black plastic but only had 1 weight.

Trevor

Just a slight addition, i used the large seymo bait droppers on the Trent last year, they are fantastic for the under arm lob, as they do get a large amount of bait down really quick. However i have ruined a couple by giving them the overhead cast, one for the memory dont be tempted.....

Jon

What sort of distance could you underarm it?

When i've used one previously i was dropping it off the rod top to a maximum of 2-3 rod lengths out.

Trevor

Ben,

I agree with Tevor re the Thamesely droppers. These are the only ones I havent managed to destroy on the Wye, where the rocks regularly eat tackle....being plastic they tend to flex slightly and this helps if they get cuaght up.

Problem is Im not sure they are still made, so if you can find a tackle shop with some in stock I would advise getting a few.

Cheers

Tommo

Trevor about 15 yards on an under arm lob, the big seymo ones take about half a pint of bait. With 10 of them, blue touch paper lit for some Trent Barbel bashing....

Back