• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bacon Grill

Check out his neg feedback Terry, seems like he might cause problems with his so called free postage, fake stamps wtf?
Received them this morn mate... after ordering last Friday night, which ain't bad considering it was a Bank Holiday weekend. If you pay by PayPal then the money doesn't come out of your account for 2 weeks anyway. I've made 975 transactions with eBay/PayPal, and not had the slightest problem as yet.
ATVB

I wouldn't chance eating any, even tho its probably still ok. Think that works out roughly about 60p a tin. Ive been trying to stock up on Asda and Tesco bacongrill, £1 for a 250 gram tin. Only problem is, i keep eating it. :D:oops::)

Forget the Bacon Grill Derek , keep an eye out for the hot and spicy spam , great bait , and if you eat it , well , lets say it will keep you regular .....

Hot and Spicy Spam is one of the nicest eating spams, while others are downright pooey IMO.

I wonder what percentage of the Spam market anglers hold? I've eaten it once or twice - years ago, admittedly - but can't imagine it's part of anyone's (non angling) regular shopping basket. Though I may be wrong. Am I?

Get on the Spam
20180502_181146.jpg

I wonder what percentage of the Spam market anglers hold? I've eaten it once or twice - years ago, admittedly - but can't imagine it's part of anyone's (non angling) regular shopping basket. Though I may be wrong. Am I?

Well it was a hugely important food in the war, and there is nothing much wrong with it really to-day, can't be any worse than the processed meat we now buy. Must admit I have had it when I have run out of bacon, fried it's quite nice, Mum used to dish it up quite a lot I remember. But then we had tripe too, which again I liked but many would nowadays not eat, simmered in milk and an onion and potato, with loads of pepper..mmm.
Oh! and who can resist a lump of Spam in a session when it get's a tad boring?
Don't see many actually buy the stuff, and I admit to trying to explain at the cash out that it's 'for the fish' which just makes it a lot worse.

Thanks for your response, Neil. Yes, I remember Spam fritters at school in the 70s - quite tasty I recall. The average palate seems to have become more sophisticated over the years, particularly with (and because of) the wide variety of national/cultural influences over the food we eat.

Richard , they have an annual spam festival in Hawaii , 20,000+ attendees every year , swopping rare varieties , it's regarded as a delicacy by many

From what you and Neil have written, Mike, it might then seem sacrilegous to use as mere bait - even if Barbus Barbus really is The Prince of the River. The festival sounds like a fantastic event. It's going to have to go on my bucket list! :)

Haven't eaten Spam (or anything similar) since I was a kid. I don't want to start now as I suspect I'd enjoy it...

But that Lidl bacon grill stuff - I've caught loads of chub on it over the last couple of years on the Bristol Avon. Never had a sniff from a barbel (all the barbel came to either Spam or Bait Tech's N-Tice Polony (RIP)), but it would be the meat I'd use if I was specifically targeting chub.

Great thread, certainly meat has accounted for most of my Barbel, especially in the Autumn when I think it comes into it's own. I can't stress just how much I believe in using in 'straight out of the tin' all the locked in flavour certainly seems to work well for me. I take the tins to the bank and open them there, although of course being careful to take the tins home with me.
Not too long now...is it? ;)

Back