• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Back leads

In small rivers I use them almost all the time (sliding backleads held between rubber float stops). Doing so on the Wensum increased my catch rate enormously.

Back leads or flying back leads?
Use back leads on the WAvon to help with the boat traffic.
Occassionaly use flying back leads but not convinced of there value......

I did use a float stop and solar flying backlead but recently I've been using a 2 SSG link leger as a backlead and have been tying on PVA string as a stop so the rig is free running rather than having a fixed float stop.

How far behind your rig do you position your backlead? Do you use an inline lead for this or a different set up?

How much lead I put on will depend on the flow. Usually I use in-line flying backleads and sometimes I will use two or three of them in normal flows If the bottom is very uneven I will space them out to lay the line along the contours. I seldom fish much more than a rod length out, and like to lay at least 4 feet of line on the bottom so that there's nothing for the fish to swim into in the vicinity of the baited area.

Would any of you guys promotethe use of plastacine as a back lead??

I know its used for rolling meat, and falls off in snags so do you think its a good idea?

I suppose the weight should be varied with the flow but what would be a good starting point? 2 x SSG (3.2g) seems to light to me but at the other extreme I have seen 2oz (57) in-line leads used as standard. I have been using the medium (5g) and large (7.5g) Korda Flying Back Leads as these can be added or removed easily without re-tackling. Would in-line coffin leads be a good idea, less chance of rolling around?

If i am using two rods, ie if the swim is big enough or i am testing out some new bait, i always use a backlead on the inside rod to avoid tangles in the unlikely event of hooking a fish. Generally this will be an in-line coffin lead or a quick-change lead (if i remember to take them out of my pike tackle bag).The latter are handy as various weights can be used to match the current without having to break down end-rigs.

However most of my fish are caught from set-ups that don't incorporate a back lead & these are heavily fished low stocked venues.

Regards
Andy

Back