• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Avon Scales

Neil Rogers

Hi All
Can anyone out there tell me an on-line shop where i can still buy a set of AVON MK 7 SCALES.
Just looking for a new set i think there not made any more but there most be a few sets still about,well i am hoping there are.

Any help would be spot on thanks.;)

Not a link to any scales, but just a little story to say how good a company the makers were.

Had my first set of Avons for about 25 years, still weighed perfect but the glass was almost impossible to see through and they were looking very shabby, managed to get in touch with the Avon scale makers and sent them back for a 'service'...... had a brand new set returned to me with a letter saying something along the lines of they were not in any fit state to be seviced, but were still very accurate, didn't charge me for them either, just paid for a regular service!

Shame , but i don't thinkl they make them anymore.

my new ones are still going strong and i dont expect to have to buy any more for many many years, if ever.

The glass going opaque on them is a common fault, I have cleaned dozens of them for a mate who dealt in second hand tackle by polishing them with a little bit of Brasso. Try it, you'll be amased.

Yes, plastic face. As Ade says polishing compounds such as Brasso, T-Cut, Farecla can restore a fogged out face (not crazed). For very severe cases then rub down with 2000 grit wet and dry (or wire wool) followed by much elbow grease with a polishing/cutting compound will get them back to clear readable in most cases.
My old Avons (32lb - 8lb per revolution) from the 80's are still going strong but in semi retirement.
Cheers
Bob

Back