• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

avon rod casting weight!

Lewis Anderson

Hi,

What is the maximum weight of feeder/lead i should be casting on my 1lb 6oz avon rods which i think is = to a 1 1/3 test curve?

??

Cheers

Old way of calculating was 1oz to a pound,so 1.6oz.Modern rods should cast twice that if only lobbing out.Full blooded wack might be stretching it a bit.

Lewis I use 1.75tc rod and have cast 60yds with a six ounce feeder with ground bait in it may weigh upto 8ozs. Not had a problem in the 6 years of abuse I have given them. Though I do believe in you get what you pay for.

I would say that question is almost impossible to answer. A cast of 100 yards is going to load the rod exponentially more than a 10 yard lob.

Also, one needs to consider the additional weight of a loaded feeder compared to an empty one. For a large open end feeder add as much as 1.5oz or more.

Lastly, factor in the power of a large barbel in the main stream with all that lead swinging around.

For my part, common sense should prevail and if the rod feels overloaded then go easy or better still use something beefier! If you need the 100 yard cast with a fully loaded 6oz feeder then look elsewhere. No doubt this isn't why you have chosen such a rod!

My guess is you'll be fine on smaller rivers or shorter casts with small to medium sized/weight feeders at max with low to medium flows.

Hope that helps!

Stephen

If we were living in the 17th century you could send a query to Sir Isaac Newton - being a very clever chap (probably because he wasn't an angler) he'd probably provide you with a whole new law of motion relating to fishing rods. If you were really lucky he might also have provided you with an autographed painting of himself - now that would be much better than a picture of Matt Hayes on your bedroom wall!

Lewis, there,s no better judge than yourself. If the lead/loaded feeder feels ok, then go with it. If it feels too heavy, then stick to a gentle lob. As said above, there,s no set rule. Good luck. :)

How well can you cast? What style of cast? What line? What shock leader? What reel? I once saw a bloke called John Holden cast over 100yards measured, using a multiplier and a beach tripod as a rod. What a question.

Les Moncrieff, the original thinking sea angler of the 60's, could cast over 100 yards while on his knees with a beachcaster. I would need to be stood on his shoulders :D

Cheers, Dave.

Yes Dave but Peter Bucknell was casting well over 200 yards with a rod that had a bit of well thought out design. Moncrief's "springheel" rod may have had a bit of thought put in it but it was ill conceived poor engineering theory that is rightly consigned to the scrap heap these days.

Back