• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Arpino Rods

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, I recently acquired some Barbel Fisher magazines dated from the late nineties to the early noughties. Some of these contained adverts for Arpino Rods, and one issue has an interview with Adrian Arpino, the company owner and rod builder. Have any of you chaps ever owned or used one of his rods and were they any good? They seem to have been well rated at the time and I'm just interested to hear some first hand info about them.

Darren

Hi Darren.
If you do a search there was some discussion about them previously.

Yes I owned 2 and they were very good.

I think Heathrow baits or similar were there and always helpful.

However later in their lifetime they seemed to employ a couple of extra rod helpers, possibly due to health issues and once I had an Avon top converted to a quiver tip the finish was not good and the response not helpful.

I took my custom elsewhere.

I've got 7 pike rods either made from scratch or refurbed by Adrian and I am very happy with them. In particular he made me a pair of boat rods from a beautiful, slim American blank that are a delight to use. Sadly he had to retire several years ago after he was diagnosed with a lung disease similar to silicosis from all the dust from sanding rod blanks over the years.

I heard that he had subsequently died but do not know this for sure.

Back