• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Archived River Reports.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Be a few hours well spent to read from start to finish.

My next venture now I have all the rods packed away and reel matched. X twice.

Worth reading the Kennet and Loddon ones. Ahhh Memories.

And the ivel
Ivel and Ouse.
ivel was actually still fishing quite well up to about 2015 then she got whacked with a big fury stick!!
absolutely loved that little river. It was never “easy” and required good stealth and water craft to reap the rewards but once you sussed it and had your head in the game a nice brace of fish on a short evening session was achieved nearly every session. Had some proper belters out of there.

Would it be true to say that only the Trent and the Wye are currently fishing better for Barbel than they did 10 years ago?
Regards,
G.T.

Maybe Nene as well.
And some of the Sussex rivers possibly
From what I’ve been told this season on a number of occasions it used to produce substantially better than it has been recently. As it’s only been my first season on the nene and prior to this I haven’t had much to do with it I can’t say from personal experience whether it is or isn’t.
what I can tell you from this years experience is I’ve had a good few fish out and baring 1 every single other have been big females which is a common concern for quite a lot of small rivers.
In fact other than the upper Lea I can’t think of many places round here where you can go and Catch the smaller barbel.

Has the Swale declined much recently. That was my main barbel stomping ground when I was at school and was always a fabulous river to fish.
so many chub in there I remember matches been won with 3,4,500lb but once you got in the right places barbel of 4-8lb were quite common especially round topcliff and parts or Morton
Been years since I went down dunno if it’s still as good.

Richard.

I am probably going back further than you remember but cannot remember the Nene being a noted barbel river 15 or so years ago. Roach and bream as a popular match venue in the fishing rags.
I may be very wrong though as never fished it.

Richard.

I am probably going back further than you remember but cannot remember the Nene being a noted barbel river 15 or so years ago. Roach and bream as a popular match venue in the fishing rags.
I may be very wrong though as never fished it.
Certainly way further back than I remember regarding the Nene Graham like I say I’ve only fished it this season.
Unfortunately I can only go by what the guys tell me about it on the banks been better than it has been recently.
ive no clue how far back they refer to mind.
@John Newman is the best man to comment here as he looks after some of the clubs waters.

What would we remember if it wasn't the case?

Back