• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Arbour for Speedia

Neil Kirk

I have heard mention of arbours for Speedia centrepins to reduce the spool depth and also the bedding in you can get using backing.

Anyone know where these can be obtained?

Neil

I have heard mention of arbours for Speedia centrepins to reduce the spool depth and also the bedding in you can get using backing.

Anyone know where these can be obtained?

Neil
I think there is a guy on the Traditional Angler website who digitally prints Speedia arbours.

I've never used, or even seen, an arbour for a c'pin, and am not knocking them or users of.

BUT there will inevitably be a small gap between the arbour and each side of the drum, surely line could get trapped especially under tension, and would likely cause a worse problem than bedding in?

Just a thought :)

I believe they are a snug fit but as a part-time Speedia user I don't see any need for an arbour. The reel is spot on as it is.

I‘ve caught loads of Barbel on a Speedia deluxe and yes, it’s a deep spool, but I’ve never had any issues with 50 ME of 12lb line loaded on it.

Someone posted on here with a file for injection molding one, there were versions for narrow and wide drum Speedias, perhaps the search function could locate it? I had my stepson do me one for my wide drum and not had any problem with it.

Someone posted on here with a file for injection molding one, there were versions for narrow and wide drum Speedias, perhaps the search function could locate it? I had my stepson do me one for my wide drum and not had any problem with it.
My memory must be going, it was 3D printed, not injection moulded. File is available on Thingiverse, think it was on Fishing Magic, not here.

I inherited several Speedia models from my late uncles. All have cork arbours almost certainly installed by them from new. I sometimes use two of the MKIV de luxe for my barbel fishing and have only added about 50 yards of fresh line to the array of different lines on those arbours. To me, there is too much history "embedded" with that mass of line! However I have stripped the line off another one but will leave the arbour untouched and just add some new line in preparation for my winter trotting. I can't bring myself to make any other alterations to those and other Speedias. too many memories!

Attachments

• IMG_8363.JPG
    IMG_8363.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Speedia6.jpg
    Speedia6.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 181
I have arbours for both my speedia wide and narrow reels. I like them. They come a thou or two over sized and you simply give them a few drags over a sheet of mid grade abrasive paper to ensure a snug, tight fit inside the drum. For a belts and braces approach to ensure no line slip down the side of the arbour I gave them a single wrap with insulating tape.

I find the line lay better than without the arbor and also a marginally better retrieval rate.

Back