• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Approaching 50 and the upper end of the pay scale.

Colin Gordon

No Longer a Member
Received a email from an angling survey I participated in. Seem we as anglers are an average of nearly fifty years old, earn 50k a year and go aprox 58 days a year.

http://www.anglingresearch.org.uk/

http://www.anglingresearch.org.uk/s...les/Research_Task_1_Angling_Participation.pdf

Wondering how many fit the profile of Mr average angler?
Personally I don't meet the criteria on any front except being married.....:rolleyes:

Am to young, earn to little and fish to often.... Oh and Mr average angler is less likely to have kids than his none fishing counterpart. Another cross for me.

Phew, thats a relief. There's me thinking I was mid fifties, earning next to nowt with no time afterwards to go fishing!
Thanks (I think) :)

When I was much younger - you know, back in 2008 or so - I used to take a delight in delivering plausible yet highly subversive answers to any pollster that had managed to find me on a day when I was willing to talk. On at least two occasions I saw my well-argued views and tastes featured in a report, taken as Gospel and up for serious discussion. But then I read an old, much-read book in my early teens called the Hidden Persuaders, about the U.S. advertising industry, and was never the same afterwards. Did any of you catch the two fifteen-minute programmes on Radio 4 the other day (might still be available) called "Turkeys Voting For Christmas"? About why and how people are made to vote for people and policies completely agin their own interests. Worrying.

50k a year? If I had that much I'd pay someone to do the poll for me:)

I think that the poll shows that those that could be bothered to answer a pointless poll were aged 50, earned 50k a year etc. It means nothing.

By the way, I'm 54 and that entitles me to be a grumpy old so and so, I saw it in a poll somewhere:p

Well I am over 50, grumpy and go fishing a lot!

I could not possibly survive on £50k a year, I have standards you know!

Mind you it would be harder for Wilson (could you run and Aston on £50k a year, what of the Range Rover and the others) single malt is not cheap you know!

Would mean mothballing the east wing, servants could get the bus in but it would not be the same!

On the whole I think he would find it un-acceptable!

When I told him that some anglers fish waters that they don’t own and join clubs to go fishing, he was surprised and thought it a novel idea!!

50k a year? If I had that much I'd pay someone to do the poll for me:)

I think that the poll shows that those that could be bothered to answer a pointless poll were aged 50, earned 50k a year etc. It means nothing.

By the way, I'm 54 and that entitles me to be a grumpy old so and so, I saw it in a poll somewhere:p

Dave, whilst you are probably right about the poll being "pointless".
For the sake of 5 minutes of my time if it could result in lottery money being given to promote our sport I'll (did) opt to participate.

With figures such as, of the 4000 swans found dead or injured by the RSPCA just over half (2100) were found to have fishing line tangled around them.

Doesn't bode well especially when the RSPCA's officers ALWAYS describe it as "discarded" fishing line / tackle.
Rather than a more accurate appraisal (at times) of lost tackle.

AND

What is our representative body the AT doing to promote our sport...... From what evidence I've seen, not a great deal.
More worried about funding (well lack of) than actually doing a great deal.

Seeing as they can't positively pushing their own organisation, little hope of promoting the sport effectively.

Terrifyingly, somebody was actually making quite a good job of promoting Angling (plus himself, of course) on TV when I walked into a neighbour's about an hour ago - Mr Extreme Angler himself on the Alan Titchmarsh chatshow.

I take Paul you're referring to the buffoon that is Robson Green?

Just what we need to positively promote our sport..... NOT!!:(:(:(

Robson - pinch yourself (I did, plus shove my head into a bowl of iced water after fainting in shock) - was actually doing a very good job. Okay, he mentioned that African tigerfish ate well, but still had a lot of very sensible things to say about fishing ("...it's the places it takes you to, it's about being there...") that would have got through to a few million watching "housewives", which we never will.

I caught that as well Paul, I applauded him as well, daft bugger that I am!!:eek:

He's on tonight on 5 at 9pm

PS I wasn't watching on purpose...honest

Back