• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone like Bass fishing?

Hi Paul, this bit of legislation has been burning its way through sea angling forums for a long time, ill thought out, and unfair ,George Eustace should hang his head in shame.

On another note, its nice to see that the Daily Mail dont seem to know the difference between a Bass and a Cod for photographic purposes .

Dave

Dead catsharks 'dumped' on Chesil Beach - BBC News
Unfortunately some anglers don't seem bothered about some bad PR as shown above with the dogfish.
I quite enjoy a bit of bass fishing but have often wondered how substainable the habit of knocking big bass over the head is.
Inshore boat owners will probably face the brunt of this bit of new legislation ,...while the majority of beach anglers will just carry on the same as always.
I even use unhooking mats for bass,...which some have pointed out to be 'unusual' !

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...ylor-albums-dropbox-picture5081-5-10-bass.jpg

All depends on yer mindset I guess.

Fully agree where your coming from Dave.
Have seen some awful practices such as fish being left flapping around in full view of the public. I approached one guy who had a sizable wrasse and he just left the poor thing flapping about on the ground..I pointed out to him that wrasse are not for the dinner table, and he should put it back..
Also witnessed a double figure bass being killed, i told the angler how old that fish was and it would not make good eating..
Yes, sea fisherman have a lot to answer for when it comes to killing fish unnecessary..

Fully agree where your coming from Dave.
Have seen some awful practices such as fish being left flapping around in full view of the public. I approached one guy who had a sizable wrasse and he just left the poor thing flapping about on the ground..I pointed out to him that wrasse are not for the dinner table, and he should put it back..
Also witnessed a double figure bass being killed, i told the angler how old that fish was and it would not make good eating..
Yes, sea fisherman have a lot to answer for when it comes to killing fish unnecessary..

Now Now Craig....I think that you are probably tarring all sea anglers with the same brush here ..... I would say that most sea anglers take some time / care to catch unhook and return fish that are not wanted for the table.... there are always the uneducated and plain stupid,either on the sea angling side or freshwater.
I have been a sea angler for almost as long as I have been a freshwater angler... and have seen bad practice on both sides of the fence,a lot of sea matches these days are C&R,and that is both boat and beach/rock, the fish dont spend time crammed in nets, they are measured recorded and released.

So far as bad practice is concerned..... I could say that every angler who sets out to catch and release a fish is guilty of bad practice, sticking a hook in a fishes mouth and winding it in , taking it out of the water and returning it is hardley a walk in the park for the fish , is it ?

Dave

I think that we anglers have to tread carefully and avoid the 'holier than thou' attitude, but sometimes it's really difficult.
I have detected a change in attitude among some of the well known sea fishing writers who realise that some form of conservation and change of ingrained mindset is the way forward.
No one is talking 100% catch and return here, but perhaps an end to the needless killing and discarding of many species. I suppose the EU quoter laws didn't really lead by example on that one !
Fatalities are more likely in the sea fishing world through deep hooking and busted swim bladders of course but I do think that the advent of braid,circle hooks for bass and better rods are a step in the right direction. It's not always easy to return a prickly old bass in the dark when there is a big surf on a big shingle beach without taking risks with your own safety.
Nevertheless , because it's an almost self-regulating pastime any guidance must come from journalists, clubs and tackle shops.
Nothing wrong with catching something that's substainable and eating it, but when I see people feathering for mackerel off the beach and literally filling up bin bags , you wonder just how much of that is going to get chucked away.
Top sea angler Alan Yates wrote this in one of his books...
Few anglers had respect for dogfish in the past and it suffered as a result. I remember seeing a pile of dogfish returned to the sea after having their tales cut off, during an Irish boat-fishing competition. The sight of them trying to swim away still sickens me to this day. Please handle and return them with care
Hopefully, the attitude of respected anglers such as A.Y. will filter it's way down the line.
There are a few councils that have tried to ban fishing off the beach between spring and autumn and more than a few have made piers off limits, depriving many responsible anglers of a legal pastime because of the thoughtless few.

Hi all,

Apologies for Duplicate post..

the Bass so called "protection" legislation has really ignited a backlash amongst anglers and other intested parties, there is an online petition re this matter asking the government to step in and examine /hopefully ammend somehow the stupidly worded and targeted legislation... it needed 10000 signatures to get a government response, and 100000 signatures for a consideration for debate, I ask that you all consider signing the petition...

Link...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/116747

Many thanks..

Dave

I was down in Cornwall over new year and met up with my 'bassing crew' for a couple of drinks, who are all local boys...none of them were even aware there was going to be a change in legislation, nor did any of them really care when I told them.
Their philosophy is, and always has been, that stuff dreamt up in London should only apply to people from London. A good bunch the Cornish.
This policy may be ineffective methinks.

Read through the debate transcript this morning Gavin and thought Scott Mann did a good job in making the EU directive look the ridiculously unfair bit of legislation that it plainly is. Wether it all falls on deaf ears remains to be seen.
I thought it obvious that certain Hon. Members were already gearing up for the referendum debate.

Back