• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone got a few Bob spare?

So its just the fishing rights and not the land? In my experience of serving on a fishing club committee, such arrangements and fraught with danger, as when there’s a fall out with the actual landowner, things can quickly go tits up!

So its just the fishing rights and not the land? In my experience of serving on a fishing club committee, such arrangements and fraught with danger, as when there’s a fall out with the actual landowner, things can quickly go tits up!

Like if the landowner refuses access to the river over his/her land - unless there are covenants / wayleaves to grant such access. Anyway, the Wye is largely dead, or dying, so unless they wipe out chicken farming don't have sleepless nights chaps.

I actually know of 2 cases where adjoining farm land was sold and the new farmers were then shocked to find club members fishing on their land. They tried to kick club members off (get off my land), including one farmer who threatened to crush a members car with his tractor 🚜 The bottom line is when they bought the farms, their solicitors hadn't done the proper land reg searches and failed to spot that the land being sold, didn't include both the fishing and sporting rights!

Both cases turned ugly and due to potential legal battle costs, eventually the fishing rights were sold back to the new land owner. One of these involved a stretch of the Wye.

I’m also aware of other current deteriorating relationships on a couple of river lengths, where farmers don't own the fishing rights and its steadily getting messy.

Last edited:
Back