• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Any tips on making my first boilies please

Jamie Armitage

Could anybody give me any tips on making my first boilies please;)
Ive got the recipe and the gear i need to make them but its things like do i rub the gun and the rollers with some oil? like olive oil ? things like that which help.
cheers for any help

jamie

Hi Jamie. Im no expert at boilie making as only make small amounts.

Got my hands in such a mess first time (when at the kneading stage) that i now allways coat the Kneading breadboard,with virgin olive oil,along with a smear on my hands and rolling boards. Works for me,and the boilies usually
end up spot on,and the boards are a doddle to clean. Also i allways use some of the same mix,
for a couple of balls of paste,for bait and and boilie wraps.

Howard

Last edited:
I don't bother with oils, if the mix is too sticky I keep adding base mix until it's more tacky and doesn't stick on your hands. Also can be worth lightly dusting the rollers with either flour or base mix.

Right Lads
Made my first boilies tonight!
Kept adding base mix till it stopped being sticky that worked;).

Question... If the mix dries out too much does it make rolling not work? so you end up with squares? instead of balls?. It happened towards the end of the mix .

The kitchen looked like a bomb had gone off in it:rolleyes:

cheers jamie

I'm no expert, but I find after mixing leave the mix to stand for an hour and then roll. The mix seems to swell and become less tacky. I think it really does depend on the content of your mix though.

get your mix just slightly tacky as you've already found out it will dry towards end of process. However, get a slightly damp tea towel and put your ball of finished mix in that or in some cling film then shove it in the fridge for an hour or so...

Experimentation is the key Jamie.
Some ingredients will absorb moisture far quicker than others.
if your mix is drying out before you have finished rolling, then you have a few options.
1) Roll faster !!!!! :D

2) Make up less mix for rolling in one go.

3) try reducing the powder from what you are useing in very small amounts, until you reach a mix that is more moist but still workable.
As Paul Monaghan says you will find even a mix that is very tacky will absorb moisture over a period of an hour or so, when it has reached a point where all the moisture is fully absorbed but still rollable then you have got it dead right.

Thats the bit that needs some experimenting, but you'll get there pretty quickly believe me.

4) Happy rolling.......... Don't forget to buy the missus some chocolates for messing up her kitchen :D

Ian.

Back