• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anglers killed while fishing Thames

I was going to fish that exact spot on Tuesday with my mate - (I work in Sunbury).

My mate let me down so I went to the Loddon at Charvil instead.

On Thursday after work I watched the police helicopter hovering overhead and then subsequently heard the tragic news.

I don't think it's clear yet whether it was a random attack or not.

Bad times.

It's always been a special bit of river for me Luke,...first visited it when staying on Ravens Ait just downstream. To give you an idea when that was, my late dad always kept a Surrey Mirror picture of me as a lad shaking hands with Hubert Humphrey who was running against Nixon at the time and was on a flying visit during the American election. No idea why he was pencilled in for a visit to a bunch of sea cadets staying in the middle of the Thames.
Fished quite a few matches along there during the seventies and got to know it well for a time.
It was always better at night when boat traffic died down, but safe parking was an issue and then there were the rats.
I never fished it on my tod,..because of the two legged kind.
Shame, massive potential ,....this latest news is both tragic and depressing .

some of the hardest men i know like and go fishing, they just aint picked on the right men, when they do positions may be reversed:mad:

some of the hardest men i know like and go fishing, they just aint picked on the right men, when they do positions may be reversed:mad:

For men of a certain age( I am a similar age to the poor guy who died),and if we're of a certain-type, in our minds we're still young bucks, the reality is we're not, and there are no 'fair-goes' or queensbury rules with these scumbags.
My car alarm went off the other night and I instinctively rushed from my peg to see what was happening, chancing upon a ' garden implement' on the way there.
The car seemed OK but I then started looking for them - in my mind they would get sorted, but in reality if I did clout one - who would end up in a world of bother?I think we know the answer to that one.
Worse still I find myself miles from anywhere, faced with a gang of younger,fitter, feral, drug enhanced chavs and I realise I'm not Jacky Chan anymore. Chances are I would have taken a proper battering, probably worse.
I had to have a word with myself.Like all of us, I go fishing to get away from hassle - sometimes , regrettably , it finds us. In future unless I'm in a situation where I have to defend myself , I'll simply use the phone -999 - no worries.This is a sad,sad, reminder of the world we live in.

Condolences to the family.

Good post Paul. I can't remember when I did a late late or overnighter on my own. Basically because I remember a situation on the Thames at Romney Island Windsor.

I was fishing the boardwalk swim and my pal Rich was a couple of swims downstream hidden by bushes and trees.

It was about half an hour into dark when three guys appeared alongside me. Definitely Travellers from the nearby fair that had been on the nearby Common.

One was a big bugger and they started to engage of sorts in conversation. Eyes looking around and at my £1k value gear.

They started to get into my space, a might too close for comfort.
I picked out one of my rod rests from the bag and suggested I needed a longer one for this swim. At the same time calling Rich to come and see my new set up.

He came and knew straight away the situation.

The guys were still thinking about it and after a short time decided it was a bit risky given the potential 3 foot pointed weapons.

I have no doubt if on my own things would have been different. At the very least one would have had a serious injury and I would have either been very badly beaten up or have managed to reach the opposite bank.

well handled graham mate, i wonder how they would handle an enraged slaughterhouse worker lol, well i forgot i still had my work tools in my bag:eek: yer honor

The reason I avoid towns and the like, and I don't fish anywhere near pikey camps either, nice and quiet spots for me.

Always a bit of a worry though.

Trouble is it don't matter how hard you are, if your sitting on your box, a simple push and your in the drink, and who's to know these circumstances, maybe a friendly chap coming behind you to ask how the fishing's going and whack with a hammer.

Some very wise words Paul. My mind still thinks the body can do what it did 30 years ago but in reality I can't do half of what I could 10 years back. Be safe lads, try and avoid flash points..... And I definitely need to heed my own words!!

I fished a town stretch Wednesday night and two guys sat behind me smoking weed and playing music not that enjoyable tbh I think early mornings are probably the way forward I decided to pack in when groups of kids were wandering around the park with torches.

I'm more than capable of dealing with little sh*ts but having to constantly keep an eye out just takes the edge off why I go fishing!

no good trying to convert me, i would just take 1 or 2 of my sons fishing with me lol, all martial arts men and one a master and all ex doormen:D

with that sort of backup John I will change my approach :D

Back