• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anchor Tube

Pete Dalton

Anyone able to recommend a wide bore, heavy anchor tube? Required for fishing on the Wye, thinking of rigs already and there is still 8 weeks to go!:cool:

Hi Pete,

Tried it years ago (ESP anchor rig tube) and didn't like it at all. Use it all the time on stillwaters but in a river it's pants! It's also difficult to keep your rig in place due to the force of the water on your rig.
My main reason for trying it was to see if the fish would or would not recognise it as tackle in clear water and thereby hiding your line. On that front it was successful to a point but they soon sussed it out as being tackle in the swim.
I have since messed about with various things such as leadcore and backleads, long hooklinks etc but nothing has made any descernable difference as far as i'm concerned.
I made one rig which consisted of various bits includong leadcore and backleads and reconned that, if for any reason, i got snapped up, it would cost me over a fiver to re-tackle!

Hope that is of some help.

regards,
Jeff

ESP 12 Bore tubing for me, been using it for ages and love the stuff.

I started to use it as the first couple of feet above my rig was getting damaged by general s hit on the bottom.
I find it lies on the bottom fairly well and I suspect the fish are not worried by it in the same way they are with mono.

Just make sure you but a diamond eye threader!

Tom.

Hi Pete,
One thing to consider if Rig Marole is on your shopping list,is that if buying in the long lengths,where you cut it yourself,a lot of care must be taken when cutting as it's all too easy to leave a sharp edge,as this has a metal coil running through it.The sharp edge then easily cuts into your mainline,and "goodnight nurse".

Regards
Pete.

Pete - go for a tungsten tube; Nash or PB Products is excellent stuff, Easy to thread and sinks like a brick. Better still it hugs the contours of the lake/river bed as well if not better than most rig tubes or leadcore. :)

Back