• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

aldi anglers christmass gifts ,22 dec.

Thanks for that Steven, very interesting....some of that gear certainly looks good. I wish I had one near me to give it a close inspection. They do odd things on the rather scant descriptions though don't they? For instance, they explain the meaning of the symbols relating to them being waterproof and breathable (on the skateboarding clothing on your link) but not the actual values of them....so we have no idea from that whether they are good....or not :rolleyes:

As I say, I DO wish I had an Aldi near me to check such things out. If anyone does go for a look, would they please be kind enough to post important info like that up on here? :p

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for that Steven, very interesting....some of that gear certainly looks good. I wish I had one near me to give it a close inspection. They do odd things on the rather scant descriptions though don't they? For instance, they explain the meaning of the symbols relating to them being waterproof and breathable (on the skateboarding clothing on your link) but not the actual values of them....so we have no idea from that whether they are good....or not :rolleyes:

As I say, I DO wish I had an Aldi near me to check such things out. If anyone does go for a look, would they please be kind enough to post important info like that up on here? :p

Cheers, Dave.

Some of the stuff is OK the small Crane fishing bags are excellent and are really 'Chub' in a different life.
If you want have punt on anything let me know and I will get it for you.

Some of their stuff is amazing value. As Steve says; the small fishing bag at £9.99 is identical to some at over twice the price and better than a lot of others.

A month or two back I got a two piece winter coat for £39.99. It was only when I looked properly at the label that I saw that it was rated at 5000mm waterproofing which is about as good as it gets. The stitching, pockets and zips are first class too.

The thing you have to realise about Aldi is it is owned by Maersk Shipping group so has massive buying power. Like the others have said the bag is top quality and I bought a couple of pairs of the neoprene gloves two years ago and the first pair are still going strong even after doubling up as cycling gloves. The only down size is XL a bit tight for me, pass another pie someone :p

personally i'll probably get a couple of the hats (i've a thing for hats) and the centrepin repair multi tool ,i've a couple of pairs of them snowboarding trousers already from past sales ,never really looked at the ratings ,i just yank the tags off without reading them .but have never gone cold or wet .and i already have a pair of the gloves somewaear unused

Go on Dean, it is Christmas...

Product_detail_W51-T-18.jpg

Some of the stuff is OK the small Crane fishing bags are excellent and are really 'Chub' in a different life.
If you want have punt on anything let me know and I will get it for you.

Many thanks for that offer Neil, I appreciate that...you have made me feel all warm and christmasy :D

Good on yer fella.

Cheers, Dave.

Some of their stuff is amazing value. As Steve says; the small fishing bag at £9.99 is identical to some at over twice the price and better than a lot of others.

A month or two back I got a two piece winter coat for £39.99. It was only when I looked properly at the label that I saw that it was rated at 5000mm waterproofing which is about as good as it gets. The stitching, pockets and zips are first class too.

That is exactly what I mean Clive. The first thought you have, when you see items at this sort of price is 'It can't be any good at that price'. However, if they were to include information like that (5000m waterproofing) then you would think again. Hence why I would dearly like to see these items to check that sort of info out....because they seem reluctant to tell you anything beyond the bare basics in their on line adverts.

Was the winter coat you mention the 'Snowboarding' type thing on Stevens link, or a different one altogether?

Cheers, Dave

The thing you have to realise about Aldi is it is owned by Maersk Shipping group so has massive buying power. Like the others have said the bag is top quality and I bought a couple of pairs of the neoprene gloves two years ago and the first pair are still going strong even after doubling up as cycling gloves. The only down size is XL a bit tight for me, pass another pie someone :p

:D:D Nice one Stuart :p Are pies or pints the main problem? or both :p:D

Mind you, you don't exactly look like 'Michelin Man' in your avatar?

Cheers, Dave.

Was hoping the gloves would be good, but I have got hands like paddles, that's why my fish are always look small, they make a wonderful Warks Avon 12lb barbel look like a 5lb mid-severn shoalie :p

5,000mm isn't bad but it's hardly 'about as good as it gets'. Top quality is rated at 20,000mm these days.

Still great value mind at sub £40 quid.

That is exactly what I mean Clive. The first thought you have, when you see items at this sort of price is 'It can't be any good at that price'. However, if they were to include information like that (5000m waterproofing) then you would think again. Hence why I would dearly like to see these items to check that sort of info out....because they seem reluctant to tell you anything beyond the bare basics in their on line adverts.

Was the winter coat you mention the 'Snowboarding' type thing on Stevens link, or a different one altogether?

Cheers, Dave

Not a snowboard outfit David. It is a plain green outer with an olive / brown detachable inner fleece. It actually looks very smart and very well put together.

5,000mm isn't bad but it's hardly 'about as good as it gets'. Top quality is rated at 20,000mm these days.

Still great value mind at sub £40 quid.

I'll take your word for it. In the shops I visit 5000mm is as good as it gets. I did once go into a 'proper' walking equipment shop where the salesman was enthusing about 'technical outer layers' and similar stuff that was sending me to sleep. Then I saw a price tag :eek: and quickly gathered my senses enough to get me somewhere more in tune with my wallet. :D

Back