• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

air pressure

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Could somebody tell me please what a low pressure reading is regarding fishing,and what a high is?
For example is 980mb considered low, and therefore one of the positive signs to look for combined with temperatures ?
Does low pressure always come with wet weather?
Thanks

Mark, I think a lot depends on the trend as to whether low pressure is good news for anglers. After a spell of winter high pressure has given frosts and icy margins, then a low front moving in is good news. This usually comes from the Atlantic and brings strong winds and warm rain which, as we all know, create optimum conditions for barbel, particularly in winter after a freeze up.
However, in spring/summer the onset of high pressure after prolonged rain, i.e. the clouds clearing, the sun coming out and everything generally brightening up, can also provoke a good feeding spell.

Mark,

I did some research on this a while back and took air pressure readings for a couple of seasons. My results based on captures of double figure barbel concluded that the best times to fish were when the pressure was rising from low mbs and dropping from high mbs, with a few captures that threw the trends into a bit of a contradiction. Of the fifteen doubles caught on one particular season, nine came on a rising air pressure, four on a dropping pressure from high mbs and two which didnt fit the trend either way. My own view is that it is an interesting theory, but not one to set the clock by or base your fishing trips on as there are so many variables to consider. If pushed however, i would prefer to fish on rising mbs. There is a theory that rising air pressure stimulates aquatic invertebrates, which in turn stimulates a feeding reaction in fish.

Paul

Interesting Paul, from my results from the last four seasons(I don,t want to talk about this season!) Then my preference would be to fish on falling pressure, anything below 1000, never found rising pressure to be that good, and the 1020+ the kiss of death!
peter

I think is it a factthat LP brings fish, i generally always take my fishing diary with me and all my PB's and hogh multiples of barbel have come in the low pressure curve of the low; ie when going and just coming out of a low. Last Autumn we had a fair bit of high pressure over us and my autumn catch rate was well down. IMO

I always take the pressure readings but haven't done anything with them yet.

My last 5 doubles, start and end of session pressure readings

1016-1017
1012-1007
1014-1015
1021-1022
1029-1030

These are my results for 2006 season which shows that the larger percentage of fish were caught on rising mbs. You could argue that conditions were also favourable and this had more of an impact than air pressure and this may be the case, but there are so many variables which is why i dont totally rely on air pressure.

24/09/2006 11lbs 3oz Ledger Meat Normal 18C NM+2 1005 Rising Warm, NE 21:00
06/10/2006 10lbs 9oz Ledger Meat Flood + 36" 14C FM-1 1026 Falling Mild, SW 16:48
15/10/2006 12lbs 4oz Ledger Meat Flood + 12" 14C LQ+1 1026 Falling Mild, E 19:45
15/10/2006 10lbs 11oz Ledger Meat Flood + 12" 14C LQ+1 1026 Falling Mild, E 23:05
24/10/2006 10lbs 1oz Ledger Meat Flood + 30" 12C NM+2 1005 Rising Mild, S 19:15
30/10/2006 11lbs 4oz Ledger Meat Normal + 6" 12C FQ+1 1010 Falling Cool 20:45
18/11/2006 11lbs 12oz Ledger Meat Flood + 30" 7C NM-2 1015 Rising Mild, SSW 17:00
25/11/2006 12lbs 4oz Ledger Meat Flood + 72" 8C FQ-3 1007 Rising Mild, SSW 21:15
30/11/2006 11lbs 4oz Ledger Meat Flood + 12" 8C FQ+2 1019 Falling Mild, SSE 16:05
11/12/2006 10lbs 14oz Ledger Meat Flood + 12" 8C LQ-1 1015 Rising Cold, SSE 17:30
11/12/2006 13lbs 3oz Ledger Meat Flood + 24" 7C LQ-1 1017 Rising Cold, SSE 21:35
20/12/2006 13lbs 1oz Ledger Meat Flood + 6" 5C NM 1040 Rising Cold, NW 16:55
03/03/2007 11lbs 1oz Ledger Meat Flood + 96" 11C FM 1010 rising Mild, SSE 16:10
03/03/2007 12lbs 2oz Ledger Meat Flood + 96" 7C FM 1013 Rising Mild, SSE 21:35
14/03/2007 11lbs 13oz Ledger Meat Normal + 6" 12C LQ+2 1034 Falling Mild, SSW 20:15

Last edited:
Interesting all.

I have always done better on a falling pressure.

BUT, a steady air pressure also brings results.

Paul's results have one notable factor on all bar a couple of the captures - flood, That accounts for far mor that the air pressure.

Air pressure in isolation is not that important, its the whole weather picture. Steady weather, sudden pressure drop or rise all have their attributes in barbel fishing.

The only fish that makes me pay particular heed to the barometer is pike as high pressure nearly always means poor sport.

I am interested in the pike aspect Dave and I'd like to take some readings. The drains I fish are full of pike but somedays you dont get a sniff when the conditions look perfect. We never take pressure into account. Whats a decent barometer to get, I see some on ebay but are they any good.
cheers

Dave,

Are you primarily a deadbait angler? From my piking days high pressure = livebaits while low pressure = deads.

In those days fishing resevoirs it was always possible to fish a number of rods and have a combination of livlies and deadlies but the above trend was rarely bucked.

Steve

I do have a couple of barometers but rarely look at them, it's usually retrospective examination of conditions that enter my excuse list:) If you do want to get to understand the weather a bit better then buy a cheap one and keep an eye on it over the season.

Steve, I've never considered your high pressure - lives, low pressure - deads format before, it is quite interesting and I will see how future results comply. But I have fished with all methods, especially when I was on the Somerset drains, and I don't think there was ever a significant trend for one method or another in any given conditions. I've fished in heavy rain and caught but have struggled on those, so called, perfect frosty mornings. High pressure has always caused more problems that any other.

Anyway, this is a barbel site so I'll shut up.:D

There was an article in Anglers Mail by Ian Welch on this subject a few months ago,and he backed up the lives in high pressure,deads in low pressure advice for pike anglers.The action of high pressure reduces the gas in the fish's swim bladder causing it to lose buoyancy and sink.To compensate it rises in the water to take on oxygen to maintain its neutral buoyancy.However I did read that by altering its depth by 1 metre has a greater affect on the fish than the whole minimum to maximum spectrum of a barometer.Generally speaking the better fishing would be on a falling barometer,but are we actually beating ourselves up with all this info.Fifty years ago as a kid,you just went fishing...lol.
For anyone who would like to be able to take instant barometric readings,there are several watches with this facility on the market.The Casio ProTrek has this feature together with a compass, thermometer and altimeter.It tells the time as well:D

Pete

Back