• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Adding garlic flavour

Stuart Brookes

Rummaging through my tackle collection I came across a 1kg bag of monster crab base mix and since I'm off this week and my good lady is out with her muckers on Thursday I was going to delve into the dark art of bait making. I want to add some garlic to the mix but not quite sure how to do it. I was in H&B today looking at garlic tablets but looked a carry on and then thought garlic powder from the spice rack would probably do the job, just looking for some input from some of the more experienced alchemists on here.
I intend to do the mixing in the garage and just bring the bait through to boil to try and minimise any odours.

I've used garlic powder in the past to spice up winter baits.

I've tried garlic granules and garlic salt but found that the powder is far better.

I used to use three or four tea spoons of powder to a kilo mix but have heard that some people use a fair bit more to good effect.

I use garlic essential oil. Its extremely potent with only 2-3 drops per kilo. Rubber gloves are an essential item......You have been warned....

I use garlic essential oil. Its extremely potent with only 2-3 drops per kilo. Rubber gloves are an essential item......You have been warned....

Gets my vote also but as Jon say's don't overdo it......Wear a tin hat also for when the Missus comes home !!!...:D

I've just been making some paste up for my next outing.

She who must be obeyed has used the last of the garlic powder and left the useless granules behind.

Oh well, I improvised by using four teaspoons of granules and four cloves of the real thing in a two egg mix.

The good thing is, it stinks.

Here's hoping the barbel like it

My local animal feed supplier sells the garlic powder at a very good price. So if you have one near you it might be worth a look.

Jim Foxall did you get a bag that time we went to the Horse Trough??. If so can you remember the cost.

As above. Try a farm shop or animal feed shop. Garlic is sold as a horse food additive.
Much cheaper than health food shops, other thing you try is good oil (Hemp oil) from Waitrose,

As mentioned earlier, garlic essential oil is superb...but by heck it is strong. Two or three drops of that, plus same or less of black pepper EO...sorted :D

Cheers, Dave.

Get your garlic powder at animal feed suppliers.It is fed to horses to repel flies and comes in sizeable tubs at a fraction of the price you would pay anywhere else.

Dave,
Was interested in your recommendation to add to my feeder mix....the carriage charge is well heavy ...:eek:

i got some chilli powder too, again best price by the kilo. IIRC spend 16 quid and delivery is free

Back