• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

ABU Closed Face Reels

David Potter

Over the years I have acquired ABU’s 501, 506M & 1044 and I’m wondering what the main difference is between them as they all look pretty similar ?

I have recently been using them for stick float trotting and they all seem to have the same problem that occasionally half way down the trot the line sticks on something inside the cowl or on the spool and I can’t see why ?

Any idea’s ?
Dave

I had exactly the same problem on Sunday with my 506, which I was using for only the second time. Didn't get round to investigate the reason.

Is the stainless lip around the top of the cowl damaged in any way? even the slightest dent?

There is a mod on the 507 where you position the handle in the downward position when the spool is at bottom dead centre. This allows for much better flow of the line. For it to work you also have to remove the anti reverse and all the grease from inside the reel, so that the handle drops to the downward position of its own accord.

For this mod to be effective the reel needs to have an oscillation ratio of 1:1, like the 507, and I'm not sure if these other models do.

There is a brilliant explanation of how to do the mod somewhere in the archives.

Anyone know what the difference of 507 goldmax is that of the 507 original

In my case Tim, 4lb mainline and a bunch of feisty 2-3lb trout, so nothing too hefty in either direction. Will be changing spools and line to see if there's any difference.

Anyone know what the difference of 507 goldmax is that of the 507 original

While the design of mechanism and internals are fundamentally the same, they are totally different dimensions and casings. You tend not to find much love around for the Mk2s.

There are two 507Mk2s pictured, one is a match edition variant (no drag). The one with the red cowl is a 505 from the original 500 series reels.
408326775.jpg

As far as the line stick issue, it may well be a bedding in problem, as suggested already. There is one other possibility, and I suspect it's the one that Tim is on about with the handle pointing down. I find that the line flows better if the spool is at the rearmost travel of its oscillation. That corresponds to the handle pointing down on only one of my three reels.

Last edited:
when i had 3 506m's i never put more than 50yards on. i can see it now pimping for roach on my local res, those were the days.

And don't forget those special moments....when the line wraps around behind the spool. ;)

You know what? I can honestly say that I've never had that happen. Wrapping around the bell housing spindle in front of the spool is another matter entirely!;):D

Same here Chris, I think the heaviest line I used was bayer perlon 2.7 I think going as light as 1.7 as a mainline.

Also a possibility if they're using deep spools and have played in a hard fighting fish on the previous trot.

Additionally, these reels are really only suited for trotting with relatively low diameter lines.

In my case spool loaded 100mtrs with 3lb line and been fishing for Dace 4 -10oz range and Grayling between 8oz -1.13oz
Maybe I should try loading with just 50 mtrs seems the next move

But I also want to know what the difference is between the 501
and the 506m ???
Dave

Back