• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Abu cardinal spools

Dave Aylett

Not really been able to find a 'perfect' reel for my barbelling.

Tried various models over the years, my main objective was a smooth clutch.Have gone nearly full circle and gone back to a cardinal 55. Yeah, it's from the late 70's but great reel with a superb clutch etc

My only gripe was the old plastic spool. They'd warp and this affected line lay and would fade, also plastic spools and braid never seem to mix well for me,etc....

However, last week I came across a website called ( I think) classicvintagefishingtackle. One thing the proprietor does is a metal replacement spools for all the cardinal models of old. Having just recieved one for my 55- simply- it's fantastic!!

Will last a lifetime and now makes my 55 my 'perfect' barbelling reel!

I'd strongly recommend any 'old Skool' users of abu cardinals have a look

Cheers Dave,
I had my 54's serviced by Anglers Workshop a few years back and I vaguely remember being told that they do stainless spools for them.
As you say, the plastic ones fade and I even had one explode on me a while back :eek:
I might upgrade too...

Steve

Yup, i have had aliminium spools for my 54's for years now, superb!

What is the attraction with the Abu 54's and 55's? I bought a pair of each in the early eighties - they were OK but the spools were small and line would sometimes wrap around the spool release button, so I filed a radius on mine to alleviate the problem. After a while, they were dispatched to my tackle graveyard in the attic. A couple of years back I noticed that they were fetching very good prices on Ebay. I'm happy to say that they all went for over £50 each which was a good return on what I paid for them. With over £200 in my back pocket I had a smile on my face and I don't miss them in the least!

Back