• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Abu 507 mkll drag not very lose

Paul Clotworthy

First time using this type of reel (closed faced )
Today didn’t fine it to bad was trotting with it had some nice fish but I lost a few also
Using 3lb hook lenth but I have the drag fully open and it’s not very lose at all it needs a good yank when I try free line from reel
Thought it would losen way more than it dose my other reels if I fully open drag the line would pull off without any effort
Can anyone who’s got one help me out here

As Tony said, backwind. Clutches on the Abu CF reels are very snatchy…great reels for floatfishing for silvers and will handle the odd rogue chub etc but I personally wouldn’t trust them for targeting big fish

All of the above is correct plus line can bed in on the spool which can also cause the problem.

Only put on enough line for what you need plus a little. Don't fill the spool like you would a normal reel..

I've got one of my 506mk2 on my desk as I'm typing so just gave it a go and it seems fine through the range of the drag although it feels loos ish but then suddenly gets tight..

Lost to better fish today wile trotting had a barbel on for bit then lost drag just seemed to tight for the 3lb line I was using
I filled the spool like normal reel also would it be better to remove some line from it then
Might just use this reel for silver in winter now tho had good day on few nice chub but lost the to better fish I had on

The only one that works in my opinion as it should, is the back wind clutch arrangement given to the original 501. The rest are pretty rubbish especially that synchro type design
If it’s got backwind, use it and if it hasn’t then remove the pawl

Back