• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Abu 501 advice.

Richard Barrett

Hello.

I'm looking at buying a nice little 501 with the anti reverse removed. Is this a good idea, it's £55 from a person I know, but the reel is only seen in pictures. For the money I'm thinking I cannot go too far wrong. Quick reply please?

Rich.

that's a lot of money for a 501, £50-£70 could get you an as new in box with instructions. unless you see it, try it and check the casting mechanism and pick up its a big risk

The 501 was pretty bomb proof, if its as good as you say & you'd like one then why not?
the anti reverse can be restored, i have several pawls if you want one....
If its not already got it, fit a second pick-up pin, much improves the pick-up, i only ever used to put 100 turns of line on my 506M's it stops the line bedding in....
incidentally my oldest 506M is now 44years old, the youngest is at least 34 & still perfect!

Hi Richard I have got 2 mk1 507 for sale if you're interested £50 + £7.50p+p on
eBay item number:

Thanks all. I’ve picked up a 501 minter, had it serviced and a few modifications. I’ll be using it soon, if we ever get rain, or much cooler weather. Steve, thanks for the kind offer mate.

Rich.

Back