• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A trip straight from hell.

Oh no I have a landing net jinx as well!

Dave also spared my blushes as there was a further calamity that night. At around 1:30 AM, I got a proper 3 foot twitch lifted the rod, contact. I think that it was probably a barbel but I will never know as my line parted with very little tension on it. It had been cut off on something on the river bed. It can happen at any time on any river but I rather wish it had been a local and not one 200 miles from home. I had been awake for 22 hours having only had 4 hours sleep the previous day and an hour's shut-eye at Dave's. I was so deflated that I couldn't bring myself to re-thread my rod.

The word of the day was fiddlesticks.

Despite our misfortunes I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Dave and look forward to the next one.

Undeterred I will be back there very soon.

I suppose that I will have to go see Shippo's new landing net as well just to see if it really is a jinx. Although I'm already sick of the sight of those otters and woodlice!

Conrad

Back