• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A Trent surprise !!!!

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
What a suprise !!! such a fine Specimen ,not to say a very unusual one for, the Trent 😳😳😳

Attachments

• IMG_1930.PNG
    IMG_1930.PNG
    610 KB · Views: 306
Are they fish from domestic ponds that grew too big and were released into the nearest river/stillwater by their owners? Or could they be escapees from adjacent commercials? Just a thought.

Dave

Are they fish from domestic ponds that grew too big and were released into the nearest river/stillwater by their owners? Or could they be escapees from adjacent commercials? Just a thought.

Dave
About 6 years ago 10 came out in a few weeks. Since then just the odd one. Most previously have been Sterlets from stillwaters rather than Atlantic.

David, i think i read somewhare that the trent had a natural run of sturgeon, dont suppose the wiers were about then, and probably it was the wiers that halted the migration,,,,someone on the site probably knows ,i think thats probably right for a number of rivers,
Regards

I've heard rare reports of Sturgeon being caught below Newark, perhaps going back nearly 10 years?

My guess is they are escapees from commercials upstream, or from flooded out gravel pits? I mate of mine caught an Ide about 15 years ago on the middle. That must have escaped from a commercial.

As an aside - they are ugly looking things aren't they? They look they have a drinkers nose!

Aren’t they stock controlled, requiring permission from DEFRA sane deal with Catfish. So if they’ve come from a commercial it was probably a fair while ago. I expect they are released overgrown pets.

I did a little dig. It’s generally thought these occasional captures are pet releases. There’s a native population head in Europe and a breeding program in France. If caught your encouraged to record and release.

Interesting stuff none the less.

There was a flurry of non-native sturgeon/sterlets that showed up in several pre-pandemic Trent matches. I have previously seen it suggested that they had come, in numbers, from a water in close proximity to the river that flooded. The stocking of such fish into stillwaters close to watercourses would not be allowed under current rules. However, this hasn't always been the case. There are waters out there that have wels catfish, sterlets and foreign sturgeon varieties that were supposedly stocked legitimately, but wouldn't be approved now. Then there are places that have such fish without ever obtaining the proper approval. I know of one such water that is reputed to hold both wels and sturgeon.

Back