• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A little help please

Patrick Cooper

No Longer a Member
Ive just spent the day with Martin James on the Ribble chucking a little fluff. Martin if you didn't know does a lot for worth while causes.

The crazy loon at 75 years young man is abseiling down the big one in Blackpool.

What I'm basically saying is could you sponsor him. He has a just giving website which you can donate into.

The charity he is raising for is the ABF. And what with the horrific incident yesterday couldn't be a more worthwhile cause.

His just giving page is in this week's anglers mail

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Apologies I forgot his post nominals Martin James MBE

I did indeed Richard, a brown trout of approx 2lbs though with the wind and rain I was amazed at that.

Apologies again! !! That just giving page is the wrong one it ca be found in this week's angler's mail

I did indeed Richard, a brown trout of approx 2lbs though with the wind and rain I was amazed at that.

Good going, Patrick.

In terms of acronyms, should the Association of Barbel Fishers think about a name change, particularly as the ABF is a charity oft-mentioned on these pages? :)

Rich, I always thought the ABE as per the old Association of Barbel Enthusiasts had a better ring.

I would echo what Ade said re the thread and link Mr Cooper. Top stuff!

Good going, Patrick.

In terms of acronyms, should the Association of Barbel Fishers think about a name change, particularly as the ABF is a charity oft-mentioned on these pages? :)

The simple answer to that is no.

You could make the same argument for the Angling Trust to change their name because the initials are the same as the Angling Times; in fact the chances of confusing those two are far more likely.

It also annoys me when every time the ABF is mentioned certain people with affiliations to the other barbel group try to take cheap political shots.

Its not big and it's not clever and in this case it has diverted attention from a worthy cause. :mad:

You could make the same argument for the Angling Trust to change their name because the initials are the same as the Angling Times; in fact the chances of confusing those two are far more likely.

It also annoys me when every time the ABF is mentioned certain people with affiliations to the other barbel group try to take cheap political shots.

Its not big and it's not clever and in this case it has diverted attention from a worthy cause. :mad:

Apologies, Adrian. That wasn't my intention, and it was written with tongue firmly in cheek. Neither was it a cheap shot.

By tbe word group I take it you mean dictatorship

Adrian there are currently 387 views of this thread, yet you can count the people who have posted on one hand. Whilst I greatly appreciate theposts, I expected after recent events a larger response. It has shown me that no matter what you post be it an extremely good cause, if your not in the click on here,people won't post if its not back slapping or mutual appreciation.

Jerry Gleeson the best of luck on your noble crusade for a most worthy cause..

Tight line's voyeurs

Adrian there are currently 387 views of this thread, yet you can count the people who have posted on one hand. Whilst I greatly appreciate theposts, I expected after recent events a larger response. It has shown me that no matter what you post be it an extremely good cause, if your not in the click on here,people won't post if its not back slapping or mutual appreciation.

Jerry Gleeson the best of luck on your noble crusade for a most worthy cause..

Tight line's voyeurs

Patrick, I intend donating but didn't feel the need to post as you have mentioned where to get details of the just giving site. Others may well be of the same mind.

Howard, that's fantastic news and your donation is very very welcome. But!

I can't help believe that due to my thoughts on centrepins for barbel that people, BRITISH PEOPLE have stereotyped me into the provocative poster. Where as it's merely a thought provocation that im after.
As in any forum.

If you read this and wonder what you can do to make a difference then either support the ARMY BENEVOLENT FUND or BUY SOMETHING OFF THE HELP FOR HEROES WEBSITE

Back