• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A good read - John Aston's new book

Mike Hodgkiss

Afternoon ladies and gents . If any of you are looking for a book to get in to or perhaps a christmas present for a fellow piscator, I would suggest you consider John Astons new book ''The Glorious uncertainty '' published by Medlar . This is not a '' how too'' book , but a series of thoughts , stories and observations on angling from Johns life long involvement . The book is beautifully written , and at at times achingly funny . In my opinion this chap is a master of the genre , the book will appeal to anyone with a passion for angling . His first book , a ''Dream of Jewelled Fishes '' is also excellent . If you are after barbel stories, John is a big fan of the whiskery ones and recounts a few tales of his escapades chasing said fish in Yorkshire .Even the '' barbel warriors '' from BFW get a couple of mentions

Enjoy

Last edited:
That sounds better than a woolly jumper.
Dave Tippings books from medular also make good reading (IMO)
Which book has the Barbel bits Mike
Ken

You're right, it (and its predecessor) is a good read. One of the most refreshing things about them are that the John doesn't claim, or particularly aspire to, angling excellence. I'd suggest folks look elsewhere if they want an instruction manual. I'd also suggest that the hardcore carper and those fond of "muddy holes" read them with their sense of humour mode switched in.;):D

That sounds better than a woolly jumper.
Dave Tippings books from medular also make good reading (IMO)
Which book has the Barbel bits Mike
Ken

Both books Ken , but there is more reference in the second book . What will appeal to you Ken is the humour, and the fact that John writes about locations that you and other Local barbel chasers will know vey well . Both are great reads and well worth buying , but if you are brassic I will give you a lend :)

Last edited:
You're right, it (and its predecessor) is a good read. One of the most refreshing things about them are that the John doesn't claim, or particularly aspire to, angling excellence. I'd suggest folks look elsewhere if they want an instruction manual. I'd also suggest that the hardcore carper and those fond of "muddy holes" read them with their sense of humour mode switched in.;):D

Good points there Chris . What I feel makes these books stand out is that a none angler could gain a lot of pleasure from them , the descriptions of the flora and fauna are very evocative , the humour is not niche .

Back