• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

8th Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge

Mike Hodgkiss

It is that time of the year when my thoughts wander as I doze on the banks of Mighty Mother Ouse ,''I should sort out the annual blank/ drinkathon'' . As usual the event , which I must stress is a fun day out and not a formal fishing match ,so no keepnets and all that malarky , will be held on the Newton AC stretch at Cherryfields which is near Beninbrough Hall . Date will be Saturday the 12th of October . Fishing approx 1-7pm with the usual feed and drink afterwards at the Black Horse in Tollerton . Let me know by E mail please, NOT private message , or post on here if you are interested ,and if you want to book for food afterwards , more details to follow

Moderator men , can you please put a a sticky on this . Thanks.

mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com

UPDATE [22/8/2013] This event is not a fishing match just a fun event . There is a prize though , the much coveted Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge Shield for the angler who catches the biggest barbel ,if the winning fish is caught on a cane rod there will be an additional prize of an alcoholic nature .. If no Barbel are caught then this trophy will go to the biggest fish of any species as compared to the current BRC record . There is a further trophy for the biggest Tommy Ruffe caught , this will be judged by me and will be on length of fish or it's beauty . There is also a bottle of Jack Daniels for the person who catches the best Gudgeon , this will be judged on beauty alone size will not be a factor . I will be sole ajudicator , any arguing and in the river you will go ! I will get my technical assistant and co organiser Ousemeister Bowes to put up directions for those travelling from the wrong side . Cost will be the price of the day ticket + a small booking fee , £8 max

Last edited:
Just checked calender, and its my day off that week :D Put me down for both please Mike. I will ask Mr Lawrence if he is going.

Dave

He had better come David , if my memory serves me correctly he is the current Ousemeister Challenge trophy holder , so is forced to defend his title :D

Mike has asked me to post directions to the meet point, and to the post-match pub.

We will be meeting here in the car park behind the Blacksmiths Arms, Newton-on-Ouse and eating + drinking here, at the Black Horse, Tollerton.

R.

Have you been in the newly-furbished Horse yet? Are they doing food?

Tell you what, I'll be popping in this evening so I'll check!

R.

I called in last night and, while they are not officially selling food, they *are* doing food for eg. darts matches. So, if we can confirm numbers then they are prepared to put us on a bit of a spread.

So, can we confirm who wants food?

R.

If they are not doing sit down meals and a menu perhaps whe should go to the Blacks in Newton , food is good there . I think we could do better that sarnies and pies for such a major event . Ribble lads will be bringing bigger pack ups !

How about really pushing the boat out and going to the Dawnay? We could even include it in the draw - best Tommy peg on the river :)

No , far too poncy , they probably wouldn't let us in . That slipway peg is a shadow of it's former self , even you the current Tommy Ruffe trophy holder can't tempt one of out of there :D

That sounds like a challenge to me!

BTW, on the subject of the TRT, do I get to keep it if I win it again (3rd time in a row)? :)

R.

On the basis that a Tommy wasn't caught last year isn't Robin still the holder? :D

Bit like Pompey winning the FA Cup in 1939 I guess then claiming to be the team that held it for the longest!

On the basis that a Tommy wasn't caught last year isn't Robin still the holder? :D

Bit like Pompey winning the FA Cup in 1939 I guess then claiming to be the team that held it for the longest!

Don't encourage him Gavin , h'es won it once and looked after it the following year . Unless by some miracle he wins it this year I will take it off him for safe keeping :D

Back