• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

6th Annual Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge

Mike Hodgkiss

Evening boys and girls . It's that time of the year again ,time to pit your wits against the canny Yorkshire barbel that shoal a plenty in the dark waters of mother Ouse .Saturday the 8th of October is the time , venue as always the Newton on Ouse AC stretch at Cherryfields . I am looking to meet up at 12 , and fish 1pm until dark . Up for grabs the coveted Ousemeister shield and of course the Tommy Ruffe challenge trophy . This is a fun event , no prizes .The trophy goes to the captor of the biggest barbel ,or if no barbel the biggest fish of any species in relation to the current UK record . Cost will be £5 for the day ticket plus a small booking fee for the stretch . Post dangling revelry will take place in the Black Horse Tollerton , purveyors of good wholesome food and ale . If you are interested in attending send me an E mail mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com

Mods could you put this up as a sticky . Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

As always, count me in for both the dozing on the bank and the festivities later on!

Will email you as well later on.

Cheers

Steve

you will struggle to beat Robin as he has been reading the best Tommy book I lent him for a year now and is now an expert.;)
I would hate to see the size of his libary fines he used to get.
Count me in Mike worth it just for the Gammon and eggs in th pub.

?

Hi Mike, is this open to Ribble aliens;) me and a fellow worm drowner would'nt mind coming over for a few hours.

All welcome Paul , do come along ,it's a nice day out in good company , and if we hit it right the fishing should be OK as well . I will put more details up soon re directions etc

Hi all,

I shall of course be there, defending my hard-earned Tommy Trophy!

Steve, you're obviously a beginner - any competent Ruffe angler knows that small hooks are not needed; I find size 6, long-shank, with a couple of lobworms works best :D

R.

hi mike,
as long as i'm not working i'll be there, will confirm by tuesday, it'll be good to catch up,
cheers, leon

It would be great if someone could give us the river levels and conditions on Friday night so I can decide which gear to bring............ Thanks!

Back