• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

48" Banksticks update

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
well thought this worthy of its own thread

after a bit of a nightmare trying to buy a pair of pointed 48" Storm poles / bank sticks and despite lots of online shops showing stock at least 3 shops only had One !!! with well over a week of frustration I finally managed to buy a pair of Avid Lok down storm poles

they arrived today
and I can only say they have exceeded my expectations the lever lock is amazing I am 15 Stone and lent my weight onto them with zero slip or movement I can see there is a nut and bolt in the clamp so if in the future any wear should occur it would be a simple turn on the allen key bolt to restore the clamping power I have in the past owned and used Nash,Fox, and JRC banksticks but I have to say these are the best I have seen by a country mile
I ordered them On Sat at 14.00 they were sent yesterday free 24 hour delivery and discounted too win win ! from England Angling so if your looking for some :cool:
hope this helps someone

UPDATE
went fishing on the Trent for a 48 hour session and used the Avid Lok down storm poles in conjunction with a couple of MDI Black Angle Tilt Locks and the Korum screw in butt cups
and the set up had a proper batism of fire with some typical savage rod bending Trent barbel takes I truly cannot imagine anything better the Avid storm poles are superb
only thing I can criticize is the butt caps are black and you can easily ( well I can) trip over them in the dark I emailed Leeda today suggesting they would be better white or even fluorescent

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 204
  • screw1.jpg
    screw1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
..... only thing I can criticize is the butt caps are black and you can easily ( well I can) trip over them in the dark
Try some glow-in-the dark sticky tape, eBay has lots, Gerry. I wind this around the ends of my landing net handle and it shows up well so wouldn't tread on it. May help.

Try some glow-in-the dark sticky tape, eBay has lots, Gerry. I wind this around the ends of my landing net handle and it shows up well so wouldn't tread on it. May help.

I wrap some self adhesive reflective tape around my bank sticks/storm poles so they stand out once head torch applied. Does help. Also makes it less easy to forget something when packing up in the dark as a scan round with the head torch picks them out straight away ;)

I wrap some self adhesive reflective tape around my bank sticks/storm poles so they stand out once head torch applied. Does help. Also makes it less easy to forget something when packing up in the dark as a scan round with the head torch picks them out straight away ;)
I use the John Roberts luminous rod rests front and back to help locate in the dark. Recommended 👍 Andy used to have them in the shop on here at one time.

Last edited:
UPDATE
went fishing on the Trent for a 48 hour session and used the Avid Lok down storm poles in conjunction with a couple of MDI Black Angle Tilt Locks and the Korum screw in butt cups
and the set up had a proper batism of fire with some typical savage rod bending Trent barbel takes I truly cannot imagine anything better the Avid storm poles are superb
only thing I can criticize is the butt caps are black and you can easily ( well I can) trip over them in the dark I emailed Leeda today suggesting they would be better white or even fluorescent
Problem solved mate.
I used to trip over mine too.
791E71AB-C626-4C86-A4C1-0C8D8041154E.jpeg

nice job I have ordered some reflective tape from ebay I noticed the isotope slots do you know what size fits it ? wondered if 12mm x 2.5mm fits ?
2.5 is too big. I think they are 2mm slots.
I had a couple of 11 x 1.5 kicking about so I dropped them in and put a dollop of clear epoxy in to set them in. Works fine but they were too small to sit in snug. They are definitely a lot better with the white and the isotopes as you can clearly see them in the ground day or night.

2.5 is too big. I think they are 2mm slots.
I had a couple of 11 x 1.5 kicking about so I dropped them in and put a dollop of clear epoxy in to set them in. Works fine but they were too small to sit in snug. They are definitely a lot better with the white and the isotopes as you can clearly see them in the ground day or night.
I see they do a 12mm x 2mm but for some reason the 10mm are 2,5mm would you say the 12mm length with go in or would it be to long ? Im rubbish at measuring in metric lol

I see they do a 12mm x 2mm but for some reason the 10mm are 2,5mm would you say the 12mm length with go in or would it be to long ? Im rubbish at measuring in metric lol
I’ll get the calipers out later and tell you the slot size
I know 2.5’s dont fit as I tried a drennan and it wasn’t going in. 12mm long sounds about right but I’ll tell you exactly this evening

Back