• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3rd time lucky!!

Joel Clint

Hi..
Not sure I have put this in the right place.. But just wanted to ask if anyone else is having trouble with couriers at the moment.. Had three rods delivered in the last two days .. (all be it they were off that well known auction site!!) the first two were completely broken!!... These were in proper rod tubes .. Delivered by separate couriers but both looked liked they had been completely run over!!.. Luckily the one that was delivered today was undamaged...I just can't believe how mistreated the rods were treated in transit..

i work in a large plumbers merchants on the goods inwards .tnt are the worst then tuffnells avoid they just stack every thing on top of each other and throw stuff around on the back of the lorry
try to use a carry who uses a van ups parcel force dhl interlink dps fedex the amount of gear we refuse because of the state in comes in is unbelievable
avoid carriers who use 7.5ton wagons

i had a mate that worked for a big courier company and you wouldn't believe the contempt for parcels some had, he left,saying he wouldn't work with morons!
fancy a game of football with a fragile package!!!!

Some 10 years ago I worked for Securicor as a courier on a temp contract whilst I sorted myself with a job I wanted.

1. The courier in the van that collects the parcel takes it back to the area depot.
2. The parcel then gets "placed" "kicked" "thrown" into a cage ( exactly like the supermarket ones you see)
3. The cage gets loaded onto an HGV and driven to a central hub to be "sorted" and sent out the relevant area depots to then be delivered to the customer by van.

There were some people that cared and most that didn't, you were always under pressure with time but taking care of parcels and delivering them were my priority.

The other side - I had to go out of my way to pick up a parcel from a customer, the customer was not only rude she spelt out the camera was worth £2000.00 (not every courier is honest).
The problem was it was unboxed with no address she thought I would just take the camera to the destination, calmly I explained it had to be in a box and it had to be well packaged and to have an address on it, so as a favour I returned 1 hour later, upon my return the £2000.00 camera was inside a wheatabix box loose with the address "To Canon”.

Because I cared I refused to collect it, I got told off, went back and it was still in the Wheatabix box so I refused again, I got told off again etc, eventualy Securiocor management decided I was right to not collect.

Most rod tubes should be able take quite a bit of abuse, the rod should be wrapped in bubble wrap and then more so over the tip, butt and butt ring, I cut out polystyrene sections intermittently to keep the tube as rigid as possible, never had a problem with breakage, again it’s a lottery with those that care and those that don’t.

Ramble over

parcel force are the worst, deliverys that couldn't be delivered were thrown into a ditch so to clear the van out!!

Until now I've never had a problem with TNT - that's possibly tempting things.
However, I've had rods destroyed by other couriers.
Mine go insured on a 24 hr service - however this costs around £20.
There is also a catch when couriers limit their liability based on weight at approx £15 per kilo. So potentially the amount that you can claim for say a couple of rods is around £15 - cos they don't weigh much.
Happy days,
Cheers
Bob

Been using Interparcel for while now and up to the last couple of months they seemed ok. But they managed to crush a rod I recently sent luckily it was fully insured.
But recently watched two courier vans parked side by side launching parcels from one to the other through there side doors. Morons.....

On the Teme the other day I was walking along a stretch that runs parallel to a road. I was shocked to find two handguns lying on the bank. They turned out to be those realistic ones that fire little fluoro balls. The packaging and parcel including the courier label were nearby. The pistols had been smashed on impact and the ammo was all over the place. I guess this thread might explain how they got there!

Back