• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3 piece barbel rod

Matthew Ransom

Hi, I now have a smaller vehicle and less room (kids). Could anyone recommend a decent 3 or more piece rod that will fit more easily in my boot?

Hi Matthew,

What rivers do you fish? This will help people recommend something suitable.

Personally, if you fish rivers like the Severn, I would recommend the Drennan Acolyte Distance Feeder rod. Plenty of power, and being 13ft will help with distance and keeping more line off the water.

Sam

As others have said, can depend on rivers you fish, but from the Harrison stable there is the 4 piece Avon at 11' and 1.5lb, 3 piece Triptych at 12' and 1.5lb, or if you want a shorter rod Barbel stalker 3 piece at 9' and 2lb. The Triptych is well regarded by salmon anglers.

Thanks for these suggestions. I tend to fish the North Yorkshire rivers Swale, Nidd, Wharfe, and Ure although I may also travel. I suppose I'm looking for an all rounder although something which can cope with flood conditions would be better.

Since the original Prodigy Barbel, Greys have often included a three piece barbel rod in their range of barbel rods.

I have a Torrix with single leg guides, it is a fine rod with a great action, I don't use my rods to beat down balsam and nettles. ;)

It would still be a fine rod with a great action with double leg guides, which are less susceptible to "accidental" damage;)

If you want to fit singles try these, which are much more robust than most. Available in a number of frame designs and centres. Fuji KL series.
Could also fit a combination of double and single legs - say KW and KL.

IMG_0722 crop600.jpg

Last edited:
If you take care no need to compromise on quality.;)

Each to their own Neil ;) My greys carp rods have them and I occasionally have to "adjust" a single leg, I'm probably more careful than most with my gear and can only assume that the bent legs occur in transit.

A second option for me!

I take you point Bob, I have had to do a fair amount of minor adjustments with some other rods too, I am always mindful with every adjustment makes them weaker.

The four piece Harrison Avon 11ft is a great rod for travelling, once you arrive at your destination it can be assembled and broken down into two pieces that fit nicely into a sling.
This rod is in a nice matt black colour, its a bit stiffer than the two piece Avon due to four sections.

Back