• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2lb rod and reel recommendations

Hi guys,

I just started targeting barbel this year and wondered if you have any suggestions for rod and reel pairing?

I’m currently using a lovely 1.5lb sixth sense barbel rod paired with a Shimano 4000DL. I’m planning ahead for the winter where most of my fishing will be done on the Wye in and around Hereford so I’m looking for a slightly beefier set up to cope with the higher water levels.

Budget for both £200 max

Many thanks
Ollie

Hi Ollie.
I'm a Wye local it's certainly had a lot of water on last 2 Winter/Spring times.

Yes a 2lb rod would be ideal for nearly all occasions. IF you wanted to fish in the main flow( I don't when it's bank high) you could look at a 2.25 Powermesh that does not feel too stiff and is great to play fish on.

Otherwise I would look on here or ebay for a 12ft 2lb torrix. Probably see a good one round £150.

Reel wise again look for a 5000RE Shimano good SH about £50.

Of course you may want new, lots of choice 1.75 or 2.25 but strangely not so many 2lb I could recommend.

2lb Torrix is a lovely rod but a bit tippy. I wouldn't feel confident swinging out 5-6 oz feeders.
If you could get a 2nd hand chimera 3 ( 2.25) that would be my choice or as was discussed on here recently a 2.5 Chimera is lovely for flood work and generally better VFM
Lots of other really good 2nd hand rods - I really like Daiwy Theory in 2.25 and you can pick them up for £50-70
Reels- as Graeme says - Okuma are great VFM, older Shimano GTEs are a workhorse
For higher rivers I prefer a 6000 size with more cranking power for heavier feeders but personal choice
Keep checking the classifieds - BFW stuff is nearly always excellent value and all the lads are sound.

Paul. A 2lb Torrix is fine for the Wye for 95 percent if the time. A 1 75 could do one for 85 percent.
Only when it's 8 foot up and more do you maybe need a heavier rod if you want to fish half way across. Mind you the fish are usually down the edge.

I've never needed more than 3oz feeder wise, and happy to lob that out 5oz full.

And I often fish the river to top of bank and a bit more.

It's not the Trent Or a Northern flood river

Anyone got a perfect reel combo for the 2lb torrix?i have the shimano 4000d's and find them a bit dwarfed, the 6000d too big?

Thank you for the advice guys. I think I’ll keep my eye out for a torrix…I’m in no major rush for it so hopefully something pops up before the winter. Would your Shimano 5000 recommendations be better than a current 6000DL?
I currently use 10lb mainline on my lighter set up…would you guys suggest using something a bit heavier with the new set up?

Thank you for the advice guys. I think I’ll keep my eye out for a torrix…I’m in no major rush for it so hopefully something pops up before the winter. Would your Shimano 5000 recommendations be better than a current 6000DL?
I currently use 10lb mainline on my lighter set up…would you guys suggest using something a bit heavier with the new set up?
id def go up to 12lb for when the river is up

Have a look at the Shimano xAero 4000. It’s the size of a 4000 but with a bigger capacity spool than a normal size reel. I have two of them and they are ideal barbel reels for summer and winter on the wye. I would only look at bigger reels if fishing the likes of the Trent. I’d also recommend the Harrison Dark Carbon Rods that Mark Tunley builds. I much prefer the action to the Torrix. I replaced my Drennan Martin Bowler 2.25’s with the Dark Carbon 2.5s. The action of those rods is to be tried. They have the backbone but still remain light , sensitive and a pleasure to use

Yes. Agree with Cliff.
Get something abrasion resistant.
I use Gardener Pro or GT80 in 12lb.
G, i have a bulk spool of the GR60, only loaded 2 spools with it, just don't like the stuff. ( Far too springy ). Much prefer the Diawa Hyper Sensor. I,ll send you it 👍

i’ve got a pair of these ( bought from a lovely chap on here) and there perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3146.png
    IMG_3146.png
    347 KB · Views: 117
Any line of 0.35 diameter will suffice. Going lower than this for barbel especially in very rocky venues is just madness

G, i have a bulk spool of the GR60, only loaded 2 spools with it, just don't like the stuff. ( Far too springy ). Much prefer the Diawa Hyper Sensor. I,ll send you it 👍
Funny how people's preferences differ. I will never use another mainline than the gr60. Ultimate confidence in it, and I guess that's what counts with all the gear and bait we use. (still waiting to find the bait I have ultimate confidence in 🤣)

Funny how people's preferences differ. I will never use another mainline than the gr60. Ultimate confidence in it, and I guess that's what counts with all the gear and bait we use. (still waiting to find the bait I have ultimate confidence in 🤣)
Yes it's still Gardner and very similar properties to the gt80. And as Derek says they are a bit on the springy side, I'm guessing that may well help regarding abrasion.

Back