• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2009 how has yours been and plans for 2010

Jeremy Evans

Well the year is nearly over and it's time to reflect. I've done quite well with the Barbel and managed a few nice carp and pike along the way. Looking forward to 2010 and trying a few new venue's such a Sutton, the Wye and spending a bit of time on the upper Severn. Also going to try for some nice Roach and maybe a special carp or two along with a 25lb+ pike lol.

The Chairman on Sunday

Subject: Citizen Smith

Chippy little oik. Gone and never to return, thankfully. The very first to be put against the wall (at young Paul's insistence, if I remember correctly) when Kevin joined us a few years ago.

As ever,

B.B. (too many self-awarded honorifics and Game Fair Pets Win Prizes to mention), The, however, if anyone's counting them

2009 has been a bit hit or miss on our local (bristol avon) had some nice fish but not the real big ones i have been watching(still plenty of time left).

Had some great days on the wye,took a friend to break his barbel virginity and he caught 15 of the 36 we had in one session, tried to explain to him its not that easy and he still has not caught on the ba lol not so easy after all:)

Its been a difficult year this year but still enjoyed my fishing with some great company (paul,clive,carle and the welsh wizzard malc):)

good luck to all (not clive ) in 2010:)

This year has been a shocker in terms of barbel for me and many others I know who concentrate on the middle & lower Thames. The only fish of any note was a 10.14 which I had back in the Summer. Many, many fruitless trips and blank sessions when even the big shoals of Thames bream were reluctant to feed.
On the upside I did manage a new Kennet pb of 12lb back in March plus new pb's for perch and chub. The icing on the cake though came in the shape of a pb common of 30.2 from a 'hard' biggish pit I've only been fishing for 2 years. Struggled to get amongst the tench on this same venue and they, and the carp again, will be my main targets during the spring and summer till I get the barbel bug again by the Autumn.

bigcarp.jpg

Lets hope our ( my !!) barbel fishing improves in the time remaining this season.

Duncan.

With regards to barbel this year has been the same as previous years, in that I had initial success at the start of the season (quite a few fish between 7-9lb), a personal best half way through (12lb 10oz), then a horrid, demoralising run of blanks,which shows no signs of abating, towards the end.

Aside from barbel, I had some nice carp, no monsters but welcome fish nevertheless, from one of the small pits down on the complex near the river, fishing straight out the back of my van no less. Fishing with my barbel rods and catching 18lbers from the margins is as good as catching bigger lumps on stepped up gear. Most evenings I had the place to myself, which was rather nice.

Hopes for next year are to finally get one of the big old girls(15lb+) from the Ouse -I shalln't hold my breath. It'd also be rather nice to get amoungst the double figure Tench that, I have been reliably informed, reside in the pits nearby. Lastly: I shall be booking myself a fly-casting lesson. Never once have I wet a fly-line and with the river being in such ****-poor form I figure that I may as well master a tecnique rather than master a fish.

All the best,
Haydn

2009 bit mixed for me . Not the best season on the middle severn but nice to see a mate do a pb from there after his run of bad luck.I started to fish more for other species this season not just barbel and more barbel. Been trying for a big pike from the river at moment . Next year like to do a eel over 4 lb did abit when i was a kid mid 80s to early 90s but never seem to that well but on a few waters now thats got one or two big eels in them so thats my number 1 target next year.On the barbel front like to carry on fishing the middle severn as its turning up some very big barbel and im sure my dream barbel is out there some where just a matter of time:)

2009 was good for me. Had river PBs from five rivers, including 3 doubles (Severn, Teme and Bristol Avon) a 9.11 from the WAvon and an 8.11 from the Wye. Didn't really fish for much else, but still managed a nice PB Chub as well.

2010... Pike and Zander are a fast growing interest so will spend a far bit of time going after them. Also, a few big chub that I spotted earlier this season are interesting me. Going for them tomorrow in fact!

In the spring, I'll be after some large perch on a nice carp lake that is really lightly fished. Lost a big one on luncheon meat a couple of years ago so will go back prepared this time. As for Barbel - looking forward to summer stalking on the BAvon and Teme in particular. But you never know what'll come up...

Hi men ,

2009 was a cracker for me and Sue . PB for me , and a loads of fish from lots of swims on the Kennet . For the whole season we have been learning new swims on a long stretch , and still have not really tried some bits yet . Caught on the Teme , again on a stretch we have hardly fished , again still not even seen a whole meadow , but will before the end of the season .

The highlights being the V -festival , loads of top bands , but I wont forget when Dizzy Rasccal played "bonkers" , with 40,000 people jumping , and you have no choice !! , surfers going overhead during Pendulum set , beer fight at Wembley durring Enemy set , Kasabian biggest band in the world ripping up Wembley , seeing Oasis at their best , Girls Aloud supporting Coldplay , the atmosphere watching Coldplay , the Streets at Brixton before they stop playing , AND Lutons day out at Wembley , 40,000 hatters , pukka.

2010 - Catch some Grayling . Plans to fish the Kennet / Teme / Loddon . Watch Luton Town getting out of this ****py league , Stereophonics - V festival - Maccabees - Prodigy - Black Eyed Peas . Hope all that comes off !!!

Hatter

First full season on the rivers after the barbel so difficult to measure success (or failure!) Caught a few so must be ok. :)

2010 goals to keep learning, to catch more consistently and would love to catch a barbel on the stick.

Broke a 16 year old pb (finally) with an 11+ Middle Severn barbel. Hundreds of hours, many hundreds of fish but a run of luck which defied explanation led to that lovely October evening when I also had to good fortune to share the moment with Dean. Magical memories.

Also broke two other pbs this year, a 2.04 roach and a 5.09 chub.

My main memories and the ones which make this a year to remember are the ones spent with friends on the bank. Many laughs, many great moments, those are the things which define 2009 for me.

To all I had the pleasure of fishing with.....thanks:D

I`ll raise a glass to more of the same in 2010:)

very little barbel fishing for me thanks to a road traffic accident on June 23rd, only two trips in. That basically took out my summer and much of the autumn too in the end. But when I did sneak out i did ok with the ratio of double figure fish being higher than last year.

Pre the rivers opening, I think my highlight would be a run of double figure bream from a very shallow estate lake caught in the margins on the lift method in May. And a 20lb carp, in pristine condition, caught on a floater the same day.

Back