• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

11ft 2lb Torrix

Christian Tyroll

Morning

I prefer an 11ft rod when fishing close in and/ or using a pin. I know people will say a ft doesn’t make any difference but I think it’s a nicer experience playing fish and handling the rod.

In absence of an 11ft chimera 2 I am being drawn to the dark side. I’ve never used a Torrix and would like to see the 11ft 2lb in the flesh. If anyone has one and will be fishing the Wye/ lower Severn over winter then I’d be grateful for the chance of a gander.

Thank you

Christian

Morning

I prefer an 11ft rod when fishing close in and/ or using a pin. I know people will say a ft doesn’t make any difference but I think it’s a nicer experience playing fish and handling the rod.

In absence of an 11ft chimera 2 I am being drawn to the dark side. I’ve never used a Torrix and would like to see the 11ft 2lb in the flesh. If anyone has one and will be fishing the Wye/ lower Severn over winter then I’d be grateful for the chance of a gander.

Thank you

Christian

morning Christian , i will be fishing the wye on the 27/28 and 29 of this month.
I visit lucksal in my camper .
I message when i’m there , if you like.
cheers craig

Personally preferred the freespirit barbel seeker 11 foot blanks, had the 1.5, 1.75 and 2lb torrix blank and a custom made barbel seeker is cheaper than a off the shelf one for some reason.

Personally preferred the freespirit barbel seeker 11 foot blanks, had the 1.5, 1.75 and 2lb torrix blank and a custom made barbel seeker is cheaper than a off the shelf one for some reason.

It's a lot cheaper which is attractive. I've had a couple of Free Spirits (not for barbel fishing) and haven't massively liked either of them, its put me off a bit really but I'm sure there must be rods in the range I would like.

How would you describe the Barbel Seeker?

Personally preferred the freespirit barbel seeker 11 foot blanks, had the 1.5, 1.75 and 2lb torrix blank and a custom made barbel seeker is cheaper than an off the shelf one for some reason.
Which builder are you using? Not many are stock seeker blanks now.

It's a lot cheaper which is attractive. I've had a couple of Free Spirits (not for barbel fishing) and haven't massively liked either of them, its put me off a bit really but I'm sure there must be rods in the range I would like.

I only have the 11ft 1.75 seeker, it’s a different rod compares to my 11ft 1.75 torrix. It’s more through action, and the tip is not as soft as torrix, but the power in the butt section can handle any barbel in the river. And the blank is thinner than torrix.

The action is a lot more through action which i prefer especially on the kennet, can really lock the rod up and pressure fish away from snags and i just have a lot more confidence that i won’t get a hook pull under maximum pressure. Also find the tip a bit more sensitive than a torrix.

Bob Gill built me an 11ft 2lb torrix about 10 years or so ago I guess. It's a lovely thing, the thickness of the blank did put me off a little at first, but over time I've found it a great rod - improved further by a lesser spotted ISOBLOB in the tip.

I also had an 11ft FS Seeker - found it was fine until you hooked those modest sized mad fish that run around like lunatics in fairly tight small river swims - found I lacked control.

when the torrix first hit the scene , I got mark tunley to build me this very blank

Had it customised to my forearm length as I was doing a lot of touch ledgering at the time , so as the butt section wouldn’t snag my clothing on the strike when seated

It really is a fantastic rod that I just dont use enough these days , light enough to hold all day and perfectly balanced , the power just keeps on coming as you lean into it

Only my opinion-Torrix are the best blanks, have a 11ft 2lb Torrix and my fav rod. Just a caution-if you are fishing the bigger rivers like the Wye and Severn, not sure an 11ft rod will be an advantage. I would use the 11ft on rivers like the Loddon/Teme, closer range and moving more-just my thoughts.
DT

Only my opinion-Torrix are the best blanks, have a 11ft 2lb Torrix and my fav rod. Just a caution-if you are fishing the bigger rivers like the Wye and Severn, not sure an 11ft rod will be an advantage. I would use the 11ft on rivers like the Loddon/Teme, closer range and moving more-just my thoughts.
DT

Thank you David. Perhaps I should consider the 1.75 as well. I haven’t got any intention of using it mid river on wide bits of the Wye, I’m long bored of lobbing heavy leads or feeders about. Although would definately change my tune for the chance of an outsize fish. Generally if on those rivers I’ll be looking for ways to catch fish closer in and with a pin. I’ve got some heavy rods if I want to use them.

Thank you David. Perhaps I should consider the 1.75 as well. I haven’t got any intention of using it mid river on wide bits of the Wye, I’m long bored of lobbing heavy leads or feeders about. Although would definately change my tune for the chance of an outsize fish. Generally if on those rivers I’ll be looking for ways to catch fish closer in and with a pin. I’ve got some heavy rods if I want to use them.
I would definitely have a look at the 1.75 Christian. I use the 1.75 on rivers like the Havon and it's done everything I've asked. If I need to step-up to a heavier rod then its a 12' C2 or C3.

Don’t buy without trying one. Especially if you are used to chimeras. The actions couldn’t be any different.
If I was you I’d be putting a post up asking if anyone has a 1.75 or 2lb torrix within an hour from you and go look at one and pull about on it.
I’d never buy a torrix if you haven’t tried it because they are not everyone’s cup of tea.
I love them. I have a pair and I’m in Cambridge.
Anyone is welcome to come and pull on them

Don’t buy without trying one. Especially if you are used to chimeras. The actions couldn’t be any different.
If I was you I’d be putting a post up asking if anyone has a 1.75 or 2lb torrix within an hour from you and go look at one and pull about on it.
I’d never buy a torrix if you haven’t tried it because they are not everyone’s cup of tea.
I love them. I have a pair and I’m in Cambridge.
Anyone is welcome to come and pull on them
christian is coming to have a gander at my 11ft 2tc when i’m on the wye in a couple of weeks . 👍🏼

Back